Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bermudian Gay Rights & Equality
Recently a group of Gays from Bermuda, not including myself ofcourse for personal reasons, have gone over to the UK and are trying to force Bermuda government and law, into making discrimination of Gays an illegal act.

Because, although it's now legal here to be Gay [1994 - one year after I was born], it's also legal for a Gay person to be hit over the head with a bottle or jumped and harrased. It's seen as Gay-Bashing technically, but in the eyes of the law, it's just violence.

With the UK pride coming up[I think it is], Bermudian Gays want to be able to celebrate it as well.

Here's alittle history and background information on us, Homosexuality-wise.

~

Law regarding same-sex sexual activity
Prior to 1994, gay male sexual conduct were punishable by up to ten years imprisonment. Following the passing of the Stubbs Bill in that year, gay male sexual conduct was legalised in Bermuda, but with a higher age of consent for gay male sexual conduct at 18, than the age of consent of 16 for heterosexual and lesbian sexual conduct.

Gender identity/expression
There is no legal recognition of "gender identity", and thus, by omission, no protection from discrimination. The ability of persons to express their gender identity is often difficult; for example, in 2006, the government attempted to ban Mark Anderson, also known as the drag queen "Queen of Bermuda" Sybil, from participating in a parade, stating that he contradicted local mores and sensitivities. In mid-2009 it was announced that gay Bermudians would be participating in Pride London, with an estimated 30 LGBT London residents from Bermuda marching, and that it hoped to follow in Anderson's footsteps and participate in a future Bermuda Day parade; gay Bermudians doubted, however, that there would be large-scale participation due to fears of repercussions against their families.

Recognition of same-sex relationships
There is no official recognition of same-sex couples. In 2004, the government made it clear that same-sex civil unions, much less same-sex marriage, would not be considered.

Socially, the situation is hard enough that some gay residents have chosen to emigrate, particularly to London in the United Kingdom (of which Bermudians are citizens), in order to be able to openly be in same-sex relationships. One such emigrant noted that gay relationships have to essentially be secret, with partners introduced only as "friends" and relationships between two Bermudians as being very difficult.

An opinion poll in July 2010 showed only 27% in favour of same-sex marriage and 51% against.

Discrimination protections
Discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation is legal; despite repeated recommendations by Bermuda's Human Rights Commission that the government change this. In late 2004, the Government of Bermuda promised to amend the Human Rights Act to cover sexual orientation,—but by late 2005 the matter appeared to have been quietly dropped, until the following year. In 2006, an amendment to the Human Rights Act was proposed in the House of Assembly of Bermuda, but the Parliament of Bermuda refused to even discuss the issue. In April 2007 an activist group called "Two Words and a Comma" was formed to pressure the government of Bermuda into amending the act. Following his sudden resignation from Cabinet in 2009, former Culture Minister Dale Butler raised the issue of the amendment, saying that he had intended to table an amended Human Rights Bill in Fall 2009, but that it was now the responsibility of new Culture Minister Neletha Butterfield to re-table to do so; Butterfield responded that she was still being apprised of the workings of the Ministry and so could not comment on future plans. In November of that year, following a mention in the annual speech from the throne that the Human Rights Act was to be amended, a rumour circulated that this would include protection for gays. Premier Brown's press secretary appeared to confirm the rumour, but it was refuted by both the Human Rights Commission and Minister Butterfield, who commented that a sexual orientation clause was still under investigation.

Bermudians have tried to appeal to the Parliament of the United Kingdom regarding LGBT discrimination, prompting the Foreign Affairs Committee to recommend that the British government should take steps to extend human rights in the British overseas territories (BOT), for which the UK is ultimately responsible. Bermuda's human rights in general do not have a favourable reputation; In mid-2008, Bermuda was the only BOT to refuse to join a four-year human rights initiative organised by the Commonwealth Foundation.

~

So as you can see, there's been a long history and struggle with Gay rights here. Not so much for Lesbians or any other group, but primarily just Gay Men.

And though I won't defend it, Bermuda is my home and I love it dearly and is currently undergoing changes, however slowly, so it's not as bad as it probably looks on paper... or screen Confusedmile:, but I still wish it could be better.

And last night on the News, there was some protesters in London, trying to get the Government there, to again, force Bermudian government into atleast making discrimination an illegal act and to be more progressive, as we are one of the most advanced Islands, especially of the British Commonwealth.

The Royal Gazette - An article on Gay Rights... some of the comments can be alittle harsh...

Bermuda LGBT Group .

[Image: bermudacampaign1.jpg]

This is Ms. Sybil, our loudest Gay voice, for many years now.
[Image: 1241798839_1df0_thumb_400x300.jpg]

[Image: AR-707099956.jpg?q=100]

The part that's really sad for me, is that this is my home... I don't want to just flee to some other country. I love it here, I was born, raised and have grown up here.

Normally, I don't like to take a stand for a cause, because I am not a Martyr, I'm not agressive enough or vengeful, but for my home, is an exception I'm willing to make. Confusedmile: .

I hope this didn't dampen anyones day. Just thought I'd share.
Loveya .

-gay population has been a part of mankind since time but is a minority. And a small one at that. So from a tourist marketing point of view they can be successful and ignore us.
-in the past; the social and government structures for your island may not be strong to avoid corruption and special interest. Turn your home into another Thailand pandering prostitution and junk. All this may have changed through the years but a whole generation of junk has to pass away first.

-gays travel a lot and could easily avoid you island. Lost money and bad reputation.
-government by fear and superstition is always bad. Look at the US and what the Bush presidency did. Better to have logical laws and a progressive social practice in the social services schools, health care etc.
-the gays are not going to go away anywhere soon. its going to happen.

Yes Pellaz, I can agree, we already have a somewhat sticky reputation in regards to Gay travelers/tourists, but it's not as bad as Jamaica. We do have one Gay cruise ship that comes here every year.

Also, our goverment is really controlled by the people, because we are a small community island. Unlike America, we don't have counties and states, it's just Bermuda. So if people don't like something or want something, then the goverment sometimes has no choice but to listen. Which is taking Democracy alittle too much by the horns.

Our goverment is more like a pretty representation of us. They smile and talk hoops and tricks, but the minute a tough decision arises, that particularly upsets the majority, they turn tail. Like in regards to Gay rights.

We are very proud & loving people, so for us to go fleeing into other countries, is a sign that the goverment needs to see and correct the wrongs, for which we are fleeing.

It never ceases to amaze me how much interference governments can have in personal matters! I could see it if it was a case of rape or pedophilia, but come on! It's consensual between two adults who just happen to be of the same sex! But I know I'm not the only one to say this! Just puttin my two cents in there.

archubbycub Wrote:It never ceases to amaze me how much interference governments can have in personal matters! I could see it if it was a case of rape or pedophilia, but come on! It's consensual between two adults who just happen to be of the same sex! But I know I'm not the only one to say this! Just puttin my two cents in there.

Duly noted, and I can actually agree, but it's been this way for years, so I guess it's hard for them to change years worth of BS.

Someone said that if we recognize gays in Bermuda, we'll become corrupt like the rest of the world. I just have to shake my head.

QueenOdi Wrote:Duly noted, and I can actually agree, but it's been this way for years, so I guess it's hard for them to change years worth of BS.

Someone said that if we recognize gays in Bermuda, we'll become corrupt like the rest of the world. I just have to shake my head.

WOW!! So homosexuality is the cause of corruption in the world!?! And here I thought it was greed an selfishness! Glad to know I'm part of a group that has enough powe to corrupt the entire human race! LOL

archubbycub Wrote:WOW!! So homosexuality is the cause of corruption in the world!?! And here I thought it was greed an selfishness! Glad to know I'm part of a group that has enough powe to corrupt the entire human race! LOL

Lol.

So much power we never knew we had...

But it's a shame my country thinks this way. So disappointing. :frown:

I think it's a shame that anyone anywhere discriminates for any reason! It all boils down to ignorance.

^ I agree completely arch.