Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bert and Ernie Gay Lawsuit
I heard that some people think that Bert and Ernie are a homsexual couple and have been complaining to Children' Television Workshop for years. I'm confused about why people would think that this would be a big deal. Kids that are three aren't going to wonder about whether or not they're gay.

Wondering if they were a gay couple would have been difficult for my toddler mind, not knowing what "gay" was. And if I had, so what? Some things kids need to learn about at some point...

if they are gay who cares because its not like the kids are gonna know anyway
but at the same time i find this funny when you put this post up because i always thought in my mind that big bird was gay.
but still WHO CARES
its educational and ive always loved sesame street ever since i was little they just focus on teaching kids the right things
why worry about some characters who arent even real gay

I haven't heard anything about a lawsuit? Other than an older one in which Sesame Street threatened to sue a guy who made a short film with very similar characters that were gay.

However, Sesame Street is being attacked by the right wing for what they claim is 'pushing a pro-gay, liberal, Democrat agenda.' Sad
http://www.salon.com/entertainment/movie...ay_hannity

I really don't get some of the concerns I've read. Some of it is because Sesame Street occassionally tackles social issues such as divorce... but it's not like it's promoting divorce. It's helping kids understand divorce. So... huh???

It'd be less of a concern if it wasn't partly funded by taxpayers and since Republicans are trying to cut everything as it is (often at what could be detrimental levels, like for seniors if health programs get cut), they're trying to stir outcry against this and other public-funded programming (see also NPR). It's ridiculous.

And as much fun as it is to joke about characters being gay sometimes, does anyone seriously think any of these are? Bert and Ernie are just friends. The target age of 4 years old will not think any differently than that unless their parents make it to be more.

Alrighty then...

I think the subject matter of whether or not Bert and Ernie are gay or not is a strange subject.

THEY'RE PUPPETS......NOT PEOPLE

:tongue:

LOL very true KnightShade!

The thing that gets me with these idiots who complain about this show or whatever show is...
Its TV, you don't have to watch it :eek: yep, there's a 'Power' button right there on the remote turn the thing off if you don't like LOL Rolleyes

Unfortunately there is no translated version

72jay Wrote:LOL very true KnightShade!

The thing that gets me with these idiots who complain about this show or whatever show is...
Its TV, you don't have to watch it :eek: yep, there's a 'Power' button right there on the remote turn the thing off if you don't like LOL Rolleyes

That's true for most things but PBS, NPR, etc. have drawn additional ire because even if people don't watch or listen, their tax dollars may help fund them. All in the last few months, Sarah Palin has trashed the National Endowment of the Arts (Palin also always perpetuates herself as a "victim" of the "biased" media - what a phoney), Ben Shapiro has attacked much of TV (including Sesame Street) for a liberal bias, a conservative hidden camera sting attacked the NPR, etc. Right-wing conservatives and tea party activities are definitely attacking anything involving arts and media, especially those that receive public funding.

So... say Spongebob has a gay rumor (and he has). They might get upset... but they will not go after Nickelodeon the same way they go after PBS/Sesame Street, simply because of the whole government funding thing.