Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best movie I've seen for 2010 so far
I'm not much interested in war films, yet one of the best movie I've seen for 2010 have the war in Afghanistan as their backdrop. Brothers are solid, somber, and timely film. I can say this movie took me completely by surprise with its unflinching look at the affects of war on families. Of course, the events in Brothers are taken to the nth degree, but it's still one of the most in-depth looks at the adjustment to life out of the war zone I've seen reflected on film in recent years. Tobey Maguire delivers a career-defining performance.Maguire displays an emotional range I haven't had a chance to see in the actor lately, and you can't take your eyes off of him when he's on the screen. His performance is that powerful and he definitely deserve an Oscar recognition for this. It's not a pretty tale it tells, but Brothers absolutely delivers a convincing, intense and powerful story of a family in conflict and the forgiveness and understanding needed to heal terrible wounds.

I must admit that film looked really interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I like Jim Sherridan's films anyway.
I also saw I LOVE YOU PHILLIP MORRIS in which the acting and story were quite "unbelievable", as my friend Michael would say, but very elating and a lot of fun watching. Both Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor give stunning performances.
Somehow it's like watching an entertaining Tim Burton film but with a real story as its basis.

Can I ask about a film I've seen on the web but haven't anything about? It's called "Just Say Love." It looks like some arty film, but it is a gay love story, and I've read some really good reviews from some of the festivals. A friend saw it in Chicago and said he really liked it. Anyone heard of it or have any idea when it's going to head to LA?

Not heard of the film. May I suggest imdb.com where you can find all sorts of tidbits about films, old and new. There's bound to be something about it there.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1247397
Physical attractions appear to be the obvious explanation for two people to become a pair. But are they really the reflection of something sublime, everlasting or dare we say, spiritual? Do relationships start in the bedroom or in the heart? In this male love story, the bliss described by Joseph Campbell and sages throughout the millennia is a practical option for finding happiness. As the camera delves into the character's minds and actions we find fulfillment on both a physical and spiritual level.

The ratings, however, aren't very good.

I saw that, but it looks like it only has 8 votes, an it's so low because one person gave it a 1. And that was some girl in her 20's. All the guys gave it a 10 or a 7, and no disrespect to the girls, I'm following the guys Smile

I think I just really want it to be good because I'm sick of all the crappy indie films we have thrown at us. Why can't there be any good gay indie films! no, Brokeback does NOT count.

ilvtrees, Here are a couple of suggestions for you, both British films, 'A Man of No Importance' and 'My Beautiful Laundrette'.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

ilvtrees Wrote:I think I just really want it to be good because I'm sick of all the crappy indie films we have thrown at us. Why can't there be any good gay indie films! no, Brokeback does NOT count.

[COLOR="Purple"]What do you consider a "good" indie gay film?

There is a list of gay films around GS somewhere but Fred has made a couple suggestions (dont know the first and the 'My Beautiful Laundrette' in NOT exactly new...

Dare (2009) is suppose to be amazing and has gotten great reviews on another gay forum...[/COLOR]

I never claimed that they were new, neither are. But if a film isn't worth watching just because it isn't new then it certainly isn't 'good'.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fjp999 Wrote:[COLOR="Purple"]What do you consider a "good" indie gay film?

There is a list of gay films around GS somewhere but Fred has made a couple suggestions (dont know the first and the 'My Beautiful Laundrette' in NOT exactly new...

Dare (2009) is suppose to be amazing and has gotten great reviews on another gay forum...[/COLOR]

LOOKS GOOD, WILL DOWNLOAD IT AS MY FLAT MATE LIKE THE LOOK OF IT AS WELL.