Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best quote about Digital education ever
"E-learning's a bit like teenage sex. Everyone says they're doing it but not many people really are and those that are doing it are doing it very poorly."

Professor Brown from Massey Uni

What do you think about electronic education?

As much as it's meant to make everything more streamlined and conformed, I just can't help but imagine that it would only serve to aggravate our problem of reduced individualistic innovation and make education ever more just about numbers and grades rather than actual learning.

Completely agree and as grades are becoming more easy to attain, the future will be (and already is) inhabited by pseudo-intellectuals

I am pretty sure studies like medical, engineering, and the physical sciences need labs and a professor to answer the students questions at their beck and call.
There are some classes where it is just the professor reading off of a slide show though, where I think it would make no difference if it was just something given online.

hmmm..with disciplines like my own...impossible...you need a physical location, labs, actual experimentation...the same for any engineering, medical, career, etc...maybe with things like philosophy you could...

I don't know what E-Learning normally constitutes.

Most of my classes are online. And I get all A's.....

With the advent of online schooling, more people "pass" those courses than they would if they actually showed up in a school, simply for the fact that they can cheat and not get caught. Im not saying everybody does it, but I have yet to ever meet anyone who got anything LESS than an "A" from online courses!!

I read in the news a couple of weeks ago where one school up north (USA) finally got rid of all of the paper text books and bought all ipads. No word yet on how many of those ipads make it back to school or get sold on ebay.

I mean, I CAN see where it is a good thing.....having your text books fed electronically to the ipads is great, because they can be updated overnight, instead of having to save money and budget for new books when they get updated.

Of course Im sure that this school is either a "high society" school, where they have the money to do something like this, or they had a lot of fund raising drives to buy so many ipads.

But then there is the downturn side. These are kids using these expensive devices. They will get broken, dropped, cracked, stolen, lost, damaged, and what not. There will have to be a centralized computer system feeding these ipads the information and schedules that the school has in place for the term or the year.

Then there is the upgrade of the ipad itself. As we all know, what you buy today is obsolete tomorrow.
The money spent on keeping these ipads upgraded will cost more money than just buying new books every other year.

AND.....ecologically speaking......

Books are biodegradable, ipads are not.
Books can be recycled 100% into new books, ipads cannot.

Well I did not cheat

And online is the only way I can work around my schedule.

Otherwise I couldn't go to school. I don't think it diminishes my hard work.

Plus i got A's in high school

mbennet35 Wrote:Well I did not cheat

And online is the only way I can work around my schedule.

Otherwise I couldn't go to school. I don't think it diminishes my hard work.

Plus i got A's in high school

I got straight B's in school, with a couple of A's, but they all evened out to B's.

I wasnt pointing you out, I was just saying...........I never met anyone who did take online courses who did not get straight A's.

I have.

And I have to write 34 page papers and my test are like 200 questions. It's hard work