Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to buy movies and tv series online?
LONDONER Wrote:It won't be 10-20 years but much sooner the way that technology moves these days. I believe that the average life of a Kindle Reader is about three years. What happens is that it freezes when you're in the middle of a book and the only way you can continue is to buy a new Kindle and pay to download again.

Not quite correct Londoner.

Your kindle purchases are stored in the "cloud"

When you purchase a new device, and log in with your credentials, voila, everything is downloaded that you previously purchased. I know, Ive had 3 so far!

The only thing they don't do (which I think would be great) is store what page your on within the cloud. That way you can pick up any device - including iOS and Android, and read your book exactly from where you left it on any other device Smile

ObW
X

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:[...] Movies, Music, Video Games - you name it, any media is going to be changed drastically and your 'library' is going to end up in the dustbin of history. [...]

I beg to differ, Sweetie.

You're being too pessimistic. Technology will evolve but hopefully media companies won't forget the magic word: compatibility. I have music CDs that were bought a decade ago and today I can still listen to them on my PC, no need for a CD player. And it is possible to easily convert those old VHS tapes to digital format, I have a DVD recorder that does that.

If we're really lucky, maybe our governments and legislators will inforce media companies to make their new devices compatible with older formats. It is not acceptable to keep buying new devices or gadgets just because they get obsolete quickly. Planned obsolescence is a violation of consumers' rights and the environment and people are becoming increasingly aware of that.

Or maybe the government won't have to do anything and the industry will realise that compatibility is a major competitive advantage. Only time will tell.

It's true that media companies are greedy and, like I said, they charge outrageous prices for their products (I refuse to pay 20 euros for a digital book!). But that doesn't justify piracy. I prefer to think that my money goes to the pockets of the artists and writers that gave us those wonderful works.

LONDONER Wrote:It won't be 10-20 years but much sooner the way that technology moves these days. I believe that the average life of a Kindle Reader is about three years. What happens is that it freezes when you're in the middle of a book and the only way you can continue is to buy a new Kindle and pay to download again.

What happens if your phone freezes when you're in the middle of a conversation?
An iPhone lasts about 3 years, so I think you have to phone with pots of yoghurt Wink

Well I don't know kindles well but...they sell license, so you just pay £50 for a new kindle. Amazon makes money on license, so it's not for their interest to make them last only 3 years I think.

Netflix is the best deal because it allows you to watch unlimited shit without taking up any space.

Best way to buy movies and tv series online?

I have found the best way is to use a debit or credit card. I dont know of any online places that take cash. Although some do take Paypal.