Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beware of Statins!!!!
Doctors... Hmmm....

My history with doctors and their fancy medicines has been one major reason why I am loath to seek assistance from a doctor.

I know that they get basic training and start off treating the most common ailment under the list of symptoms, and I know that most are repped to death by drug manufacturer reps who are selling products. These two combinations means that a doctor is likely to shove a prescription of the newest drug for _______ (fill in the blank) ASAP.

I wonder how much real research and real study is done with these new fangled medications they are always coming out with. I know that currently they are driving ebola treatments through FDA approval as fast as possible, I wonder how many corners are being cut there and what the end result will be.

I personally prefer older medicines, tried and true with a decade or more of real use in the general public to have a better idea of what is to be expected. Just because too often the new drugs end up doing a serious number.

I don't have a problem with my Docs and certainly know of people on Statins with no apparent ill effects.
Each of us can be prone to side-effects based on a number of factors and I am one of the unfortunates who cannot take Rosuvastatin....but I am a firm believer in living better with chemistry. I grew up in a house with lots of terrific drugs and some of my family has been involved heavily in drugs...as in the 'legitimate' kind....working in big pharma.

I hope that the Ebola drugs work...they seem promising....certainly penicillin would have gotten a much longer trail period today....but look at how it literally changed the world.

Borg69 Wrote:I hardly ever go to a doctor... for ANYTHING. I know... shame on me... esp. at my age...

... But any more when you watch TV ads these new "wonder drugs", their side effects are 20x worse than what they're trying to c̶u̶r̶e̶ cover up the symptoms for. They're not even trying to CURE you anymore... they just want you on a lifetime supply of these heinous drugs with a zillion side effects that might kill you.

I think I've made it this long by NOT seeing a doctor.

As a pharmacy student, I can inform you that selling you drugs that kill you is bad for business. It's one of the few things I know for sure.

The thing about medicinal science and practise is that it's immensely complex and a few symptoms and some quick tests won't always reveal the real problem, but rather just another symptom that could be caused by a myriade of things. And a myriade of drugs could potentially help the problem, if your metabolism allows it. Even if the doc finds the issue, chances are you need to find the right drug, as your ADME might disagree with the go-to prescribed to you.

Bowyn, while a healthy skepticism about any vendor of services is certainly OK, it is simply not possible that all doctors and medical providers are quacks on the take. I have worked with a lot of good people and have had to reject very few.

While it is very important for the doctor to know your history ad to have an ongoing relationship with you to insure effective treatment, it is also very important for you, as a patient, to have a good idea of your doctor's background and methods. It is a partnership. If I can't work well with a doctor,I feel that it is my responsibility to find another.

As for those drug reps, I find it very interesting that, when I am at the office and see them walk in, the staff treats them quite summarily. many are gone before they get the time of day.
I bid NO Trump!

East Wrote:^^^^ You know what is weird? I now go to EarthClinic.com to help myself before I make the appointments.....

It was due to the damn kidney stone that got stuck in me after leaving my kidney and causing me to bleed ALOT...it was supposed to pass but instead it got stuck...so they threw massive amounts of vicodin at me and I had to keep going to the emergency clinic as the pain was harsh...it felt like a razor everytime I had to urinate as it traveled back and forth with the flow OUCH!!!!!!.

I was desperate so I found the EarthClinic and read stories of people...LOTS OF THEM..w.ho had the same thing I did ...even worse and longer...and they all said to take two ounces of pure olive oil and two ounces of pure lemon juice and drink like a cocktail. I did it...it was gone the next day...RELIEF at last...and under a couple bucks since I already had the olive oil...but I am guessing maybe 1-2 dollar per "treatment". Now when I feel one coming on...I down lemon juice...it breaks it up to sand....

I told the lady in the X Ray department afterward when she was doing that sonar thing on me to make sure I didn't have anymore and she told me they aren't aloud to tell patients that kind of stuff...

I think it is the massive amounts of lawsuits that kinda drive all of the costs through the roof....

NOW...they won't prescribe vicodin because they say they have discovered it has the same addictive effects as heroin ....

Uh...olive oil and lemon juice...DOH! I probably downed 200-300 of the vicodin....

So a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil? How much of each?

princealbertofb Wrote:So a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil? How much of each?

Approx 2 oz of each..roughly equal...

East Wrote:Approx 2 oz of each..roughly equal...
How does that work out in tablespoons or teaspoons?

princealbertofb Wrote:How does that work out in tablespoons or teaspoons?

Good question PA...I have a little measuring jig from the 1930s that I use and I just poured so it more/less came to 4 oz.....I got kinda used to it as well (the taste)...isn't as bad as it sounds.....

The lemon juice kinda breaks it apart and the olive oil helps to smoothly move it along. I do just lemon juice to break up any that might form now...I have had repeats but they arrive at the exit in sand form ....I think that is thanks to the lemon juice...

Do you have them PA?

princealbertofb Wrote:How does that work out in tablespoons or teaspoons?

It would be 4 tablespoons of each.

Nanaki Wrote:It would be 4 tablespoons of each.
Thanks, Nanaki and Welcome to GaySpeak, since I've not met you before... Confusedmile: