Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bigotry and Racial tension in LGBT land
I found it interesting that twice today I've seen instances of bigotry and racism in LGBT land in the news. Granted one of the articles is from 2012, speaking of practices from years before that, but interesting nonetheless. (Was researching what fiance and I can do on Halloween around here.)

My favorite gay bar, Downtown Ollies, doesn't seem to care who comes and goes, or what they wear. We went there this past Sunday for my fiance's 21st birthday. Karaoke night. Black, white, asian, hispanic, all in evidence. Young, to older than me. Male, female, a few drag queens, perhaps a transgendered individual or two. Gay, lesbian, bisexual, and straight. Heck, I proved I was a bigger Firefly fan when the straight couple next to us was asking, isn't that the guy who played Simon on Firefly. I was like, no, not at all. And then we talked about our Browncoat bonafides (I WON.) To me, it's the perfect place, good, cheap food, reasonable drink prices, and a very accepting attitude by staff.

I wonder if there is less selectivity here because the number of venues and potential clientele in Indianapolis is more limited than larger cities?

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/s...ve-n666281

Quote:PHILADELPHIA — Long-simmering racial tensions in one of the country's iconic gay neighborhoods have reached a boil after the release of a video clip in which a club owner repeatedly utters a racial slur, leading to calls for action, including the replacement of Philadelphia's liaison to LGBT residents.

Black gays and lesbians in the city say they are carded at clubs in the area known as the Gayborhood while they watch white patrons stroll in. At bars, they say, they wait longer for drinks and are subjected to dress codes that ban athletic gear, Timberland boots and hooded sweatshirts, rules they say are meant to exclude them.

http://www.indystar.com/story/life/2013/...s/3997591/

Quote:Gays and lesbians may have united over Anita Bryant, but in the absence of an enemy, they fragmented. "Our Place didn't like women to come in, or even drag queens," said Warman, "and there was a leather bar that wouldn't let twinks in. And one time I was refused service at Labyrus." These days, Warman and other say, the bars are far more inclusive.

If racism is an issue in the broader population, I don't think it should be surprising to find it in the gay population too. Maybe you live in a post racial utopia, but most of us don't.
I also think it's more difficult for white people in general to be able to identify instances of it.

I'm disabled so I don't get any respect from the able bodied LGBT brigade. I can't get into gay clubs, bars or pubs. Even if I was into gay bathhouses, Hardly any are accessible. I go to gay prides and get these stupid Queens mouthing off at me for how I look. LGBT are the same as the rest of humanity up their on rear ends!

There is absolutely racism in the gay community..always has been.....

When I was a bartender though...black people got served first...because most of them were my friends.....they didn't have to even ask for a drink...they just needed to make eye contact and nod and I knew what they wanted. I often had five deep all the way around the bar so I made drinks that way....busting ass all night....

As for the disabilities..gay people can be extremely kind..or wicked cruel....not much middle ground.....

I am not really comfortable if there are only white people in a bar or restaurant. I feel most at home with a diverse group of people..always been that way for me.

This is hardly surprising, being LGBT doesn't prevent people from having other prejudices. Hell, it doesn't prevent G's from dissing L's or T's and so on. Sadly, the environment can work to make you just as much an asshole as straight folks. If you were raised within a racist environment and pumped with racist propaganda, chances are you will have racial prejudices, gay or straight.
[Image: 05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

Victims of childhood abuse are much more likely to abuse their kids and rape victims are more likely to become rapists.
So it's seems logical that those who are discriminated against are more likely to discriminate.

East Wrote:As for the disabilities..gay people can be extremely kind..or wicked cruel....not much middle ground.....

There is a japanese saying I'm about to butcher.

When you become a victim, your soul cries out for justice and there are two ways to react.
Either you become a person who seeks to find justice by spreading your pain to other people so everyone suffers alike. Or you create justice by setting out to help people and make sure no one else goes through what you had to.

I swear the original bit of philosophy was way more eloquent. The idea stuck in my head but the wording didn't.

East Wrote:There is absolutely racism in the gay community..always has been.....

When I was a bartender though...black people got served first...because most of them were my friends.....they didn't have to even ask for a drink...they just needed to make eye contact and nod and I knew what they wanted. I often had five deep all the way around the bar so I made drinks that way....busting ass all night....

As for the disabilities..gay people can be extremely kind..or wicked cruel....not much middle ground.....

I am not really comfortable if there are only white people in a bar or restaurant. I feel most at home with a diverse group of people..always been that way for me.

I havent ever felt right in the LGBT scene due to being disabled.

Only scene I've ever had dealing with is the Bristol one, not much Racism going on there I don't think, Bristol is quite an open city towards other cultures and what not. Huge West Indian community in Bristol so no one really can tell the difference these days there lol!

But as being disabled myself I get treated quite badly, they think Im just after a carer or something in fact I just want to fuck them lol! Joking aside there has been a lot of change for these communities and on the most part they are a good thing but a long way to go. But that goes for other groups of people too.

I have always been of the opinion that every subsection of the human race has its share of both good and bad. To think anything else is wishful thinking.

Every person has the capability to be good and bad.

don't know enough gay people to call a group never mind a community so think yourselves lucky - but as the generations go - so will racism .....its not happening in our lifetimes though but its happening year on year (hello black president !!! ) did you see that coming 20 years ago , don't think so

matty7 Wrote:don't know enough gay people to call a group never mind a community so think yourselves lucky - but as the generations go - so will racism .....its not happening in our lifetimes though but its happening year on year (hello black president !!! ) did you see that coming 20 years ago , don't think so

Most of the African countries have had one longer. Oh unless you mean in the USA? Monkee