Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bike ride!!!
Hey All! I'm relatively new to the site and as you may have guessed by my screen name I'm into biking. Bikes that you pedal.

My avatar is my x-ray and I have been recovering from 2 surgeries in the past 7 months that have resulted in 12 of my vertebrae being fused together along with all of that hardware. It has been the hardest thing I have ever been through.

Well, a few weeks ago my doctor gave me the OK to ride a recumbent bike (one that puts the rider in a reclined position). Today I went on a 30 mile ride with an average speed of 16.9 mph! I'm completely wiped out and my legs are going to feel it for days, I'm sure, but it was so worth it!

Just wanted to share a triumph with you all!!! It was a great day.

:biggrin:

Well done. I enjoy getting on my bike occasionally and going trail riding, sometimes upto 30km. Legs feel like jelly after a good ride, but thats a good feeling because you just know that your body appreciates it and benefits from it.

Many more bike rides for you Wink

Congratulations on getting back on that horse... er, bike Wink

Good luck with recovering Big Grin

great effort m8 ..u know im a biker too and my avatar is my downhill goggles ,, just take ur time to get back ur riding fitness , sure this is not not ur first injury as its the nature of our sport -== take care n get strong Smile

make sure you ALWAYS pursue your dreams desires... serious.

Great job, I need to get off my arse and do something like that.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

dfiant, many more to come for sure. Just the beginning. Wish I could hit the trails, my true cycling love, but the jarring still hurts a bunch and I haven't gotten the clear to lean over and hold myself up yet.

Matty, thanks for the encouragement. It wasn't an accident it was a spinal deformity that was causing a severe curvature. I used to have a 110 degree curve in my spine and it's now been corrected to 50 degrees. Normal is between 20 and 35. So I'm a whole lot straighter but no less gay! lol.

Pellaz, thanks for the good words as always. My dreams are being realized because of this!

ceez, get off your arse!!! Thanks for the encouragement.

That's so great for you! :biggrin:

I'm actually scared of pedal-bikes, because I had a bad experience with one [my shoe-lace was untied...], and prefer to walk, but it's so awesome that you kicked that bike's metallic behind! Wink .

QueenOdi Wrote:That's so great for you! :biggrin:

I'm actually scared of pedal-bikes, because I had a bad experience with one [my shoe-lace was untied...], and prefer to walk, but it's so awesome that you kicked that bike's metallic behind! Wink .

Oh dear Smile Have you tried laceless shoes?

I haven't done any cycling for years. I don't even own a bike anymore :redface: so no useful anecdotes I'm afraid; but I do remember that jelly-legged feeling from over doing it!

Congrats on your achievement and I wish you well on your road to recovery! Confusedmile: