Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bless!
Sign of the times, as Prince would sing?

Two stories from my recent professional life that would enlighten us about how being gay is perceived in French society today.
I gave three of my sophomore classes the task of inventing a character from a series of elements we'd been reviewing and learning about such as social background, family background, physical appearance and personality traits.
Most kids went about the business quite freely but not too inventively.
One of the better students, a teenage girl decided that she'd present herself under the profile of an older man, which hadn't been what the majority of other presentations had been.
It was interesting, "I am a single male, 50 years old and still living with my parents", she began. "And I am applying to become an economy teacher" (at his ripe old age?!?).
When questioned on his/ her qualities and flaws, the student found several qualities but had not given her character any flaws.
"Oh," said I, 'so this man has no flaws at all, no defects?"
She assured me that he hadn't, "but I'm kind and generous and loving," she continued.
"So," said I for a joke, " I should marry you, shouldn't I?"
Sitting at the back of the room with the other students, I chuckled, and the teenager smiled, or laughed.

But this is where it gets interesting. Some didn't get it, of course, if they hadn't been listening carefully, they wouldn't have had a clue what was going on there.
Several reacted saying "but, sir, you can't marry her, she's too young!" They had obviously not been listening. Wink

I reminded them that their schoolmate was only pretending to be her character and that he was a man.
"Well, then, " said some, " you can't marry him because he's a man."
"What cuckoo land do you live in?;" was my reply to one of the students sitting close to me and reluctant to let me marry that man, "the perfect partner", I thought aloud, amused.
"Oh, so you're gay? ", came the reply.

Others in the class were starting to react negatively, claiming that it "was Adam and Eve" not "Adam and Adam", which just showed how much more educating needed to be done for one section of the population, unsurprisingly of Moslem faith.

The others were maybe slightly taken aback or shocked, or even intrigued.

I had to dispell the notion that I was gay because this situation was totally fictitious and the man in question did not exist, so how could I marry him anyway? I also felt that this was not the place to disclose my own sexuality, and somehow, I'm afraid to admit it, it is still not safe for us to be openly gay in the professional sphere, even if, in the end, my sexual orientation is no business of theirs anyway.

The conclusion of that quip was that there are still people among the population here who, despite the right to marry for same sex couples being official in France since 2013, they had not been informed that it was our human right to do so just like any other couple. Oh woe, if the new generation don't take it onboard, it's not a won battle.

To think that last year I showed two identically-aged classes Transamerica. One class was very sympathetic to both the protagonists' plights, one was a little disturbed by the subject but finally accepted it.

[Image: node-image.jpg]

Maybe this year I should show them Maurice :biggrin:?
[Image: maurice.jpg]

The second episode of this saga of the characters goes like this.
A young man decides to present his character. This time it's a young man of about his age, and I think he mentioned he might be his best friend. He openly said that the friend had a boyfriend and that they both enjoyed shopping and fashion. Of course, he comes from Paris.
So I play along and ask questions about the boyfriend and whatever goes with the territory, within the boundaries of the speaking exercise. Unruffled, the young man answered all my questions, which remained above the belt. What a relief! At least he was ready to just be who he needs to be. I had my suspicions about him in the first place, but it's refreshing that he was able to talk about his ... ahem... 'fictitious' character based on a real life friend (maybe boyfriend).

Alto Wrote:Islam will be the state religion of France by 2050. Goodbye France.

The streets, the traditional haunt of younger people now belong to Muslim youths.

Blood is on the hands of politicians and refugees welcome hands

Possibly, but if it is it will most closely resemble the America of the 1950's equality wise.... I thought that was what you wanted for all of us Alto...?
~Beaux

The anti-gay mentality will still be around, it gets past down from generation to generation just like racism. I will say that the small town I grew up in seems a little more progressive than most, in middle school we had an openly gay assistant principle and in high school the head administrator was openly gay.
[Image: tumblr_n60lwfr0nK1tvauwuo2_250.gif]

Alto Wrote:...and no I want France for the French and Germany for Germans and Swedes for Sweden and Africa for Africans and America for native Americans, I actually want the best for everybody and for all cultures to remain and for cultures to share but not dilute and take over so the world is one mono shit city...
Well its kind of too late for that, now, isn't it? Only about 2% of the US population identifies as "native American." (You do realize that "America" is a European name for both these continents, right?) As for the rest of the world, the age of independent nationalism and cultural separatism is over. Flat out fact, especially for those of us who live in the technologically advanced societies. For sure, there will always be local cultural distinctions. Little enclaves where a few people sustain cultural traditions through time. But so far as what is actually going on in the world -- the state of global economics and so forth? -- "nations" as anything more than antiquated cultural identities are irrelevant. And, no, the future isn't going to look like the present... any more than our present looks like the past.

MikeW Wrote:Well its kind of too late for that, now, isn't it? Only about 2% of the US population identifies as "native American." (You do realize that "America" is a European name for both these continents, right?) As for the rest of the world, the age of independent nationalism and cultural separatism is over. Flat out fact, especially for those of us who live in the technologically advanced societies. For sure, there will always be local cultural distinctions. Little enclaves where a few people sustain cultural traditions through time. But so far as what is actually going on in the world -- the state of global economics and so forth? -- "nations" as anything more than antiquated cultural identities are irrelevant. And, no, the future isn't going to look like the present... any more than our present looks like the past.

Beautifully spoken, Mike! Thank you!
~Beaux