Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook status'gay joke'
bryandurel Wrote:... a dentist friend's facebook status was hijacked by his coworkers ... "License removed ...(
This is bad on so many levels!

maybe its a n american thing but dental offices are not that profitable, subject to LOTS of competition and the doctors them selves really treasure their hard won certification. They pay LOTS of money to remain insured and the office lease costs are beyond expensive. Nothing like have a personal zillion dollar mortgage. I am not in health care but applaud the effort of a individual business man and the gay professional.
-As a gay man i would not want to go to a dentist, hang out with my mouth open for a half hour while the office mates gossip bicker and phuck around.
-if your gay, in the closet no one should out you.
-co workers should not try to get associates fired, even reduce their office mate's efficiency. They are not the company god. This is grounds for immediate dismissal and what liability courts need to address.
-maybe its a big new normal but personal expressions like Facebook and your blog are your property. The gay population tends to be treated like dirt but no reason we should return such actions. Messing with someone's Facebook account or blog is like making fun of how they dress, talk. Break open their personal journal and write all over it. Piss on a gay persons life and it makes you feel good?

A GAYSPEAK MEMBER ACTUALLY POSTED THIS:
[COLOR="Red"]Why do you feel they need to tone it down?
Don't tell me why, personally I couldn't care less - figure out the why you need them to tone it down and then tell them, or make a Facebook post and have everyone like it or something like that.[/COLOR]
I FIND SUCH A POST ON A GAY FORUM UN THINKABLE BAD AND INSENSITIVE. I KNOW I THIS COULD BE SOMETHING I COULD SAY BY MISTAKE. I HOPE IT WAS AN OVER SIGHT.

sorry about the rantGreenchainsaw

I've been in the same scenario and I can definaitely vouch for the value of picking your battles.

For me the deciding factors are both the context and the anticipated impact. How I would deal with a smaller and more "loving" situation would be judiciously different than a professional culture I serve in.

Sent from my heart via 4G LTE
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

I'd add that one responsibility I think we must embrace for our own best interest in the matter is the distinction between promoting respect and taking offense.

In this case I would see the humor without any significant offense but I would readily recognize and seek a way to promote the respect/equality agenda just out of a commitment to doing whatever I can to help our cause. I Katy not FIND a way to but I'd try because just like voting there is more than enough apathy amongst our ranks as it is. Rolleyes

Sent from my heart via 4G LTE
Heart  Life's too short to miss an opportunity to show your love and affection!  Heart

someone at work recently referred to a coworker as a "homo." the first thought that came to mind was "gods, i wish he was." still, it sure makes for a difficult environment with that sort of hate talk to be circulating.

Butterfly

I don't see the big deal. It's a joke, if you are comfortable being you then you should be able to take a joke. I can joke on myself.

inthecloset Wrote:I don't see the big deal. It's a joke, if you are comfortable being you then you should be able to take a joke. I can joke on myself.

-bad to out a gay, kinda a big deal
-its a small office where impression to the general public is important
-indicates a bad run business where it could be a living hell for some employees and others are left to their own designs to run the place as they see fit
-i would not take my dog there if i knew this was going on with the staff, could be a small business where someone has a lot at stake

It's a mistake to assume that because someone doesn't like this means they have no sense of humor. I laugh at gay jokes all the time and I'm a fan of South Park. Thing is those I laugh at are actually funny (and South Park makes fun of everyone).

But it does occur to me that the USA is cruel in its humor, that is being mean is an important component. (And if the one who did this and found it funny were known to be grossly immature I'd just roll my eyes.)

Btw, here's a joke I heard growing up in the Bible Belt:

"Why did the North get the Yankees and California get the queers? California got to choose first."

I laughed when I first heard it (late 13/early 14) because I didn't see that one coming (for me surprise is what makes for the best humor). But I wonder...how many Texans would take it well if a guy were to say to them, "Why did the the South get the rednecks and California get the gays? California got to choose first." If a man agreed to tell that to 10 random men in the East Texas Bible Belt, I'd bet a large amount of money there'd be violence before he was done (and they have a lot less crap to put up with than many gays). :tongue:

Unfortunately, that advice we're raised on ("words can't hurt you" and "they're only joking") doesn't actually work...and I've seen this advice tested on those who actually said it and some of them didn't even last a full minute against harmless words before they reacted negatively.

Marc Wrote:I thought it was quite amusing!

It seems people are offended by the slightest little thing at the moment.
It's very sad.

careful u might receive a infraction.... I did and was like WTF!

Thank you Pellaz :-)