Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood Sugar
This sounds stupid, but I need some help. Last night I check my blood sugar, as diabetes runs in my family. I had not eaten for three hours and it was 131. Later in the morning after not eating it was 127. Now after eating four hours ago it was 114. The most recent time I pricked my finger and used that blood. The other two times it came from my arm. Does it make a difference from which part of your body the blood is taken from?

Yes it does make a difference.

Nurse at hospital made certain to tell me that BS blood should be taken from the side of the finger and that the finger/hands should be cleaned first as there will be residue from daily activity and possibly even sweat which can lead to a false reading.

understand that "normal" high blood sugar ranges between 135 to 140 milligrams per deciliter.

BS tested before breakfast (after a night without food) normally ranges between 70 to 100 milligrams.

IF you go without eating for 8-12 hours expect a lower blood sugar count.

Ideally we are supposed to test AFTER two hours have passed since the last time we eat anything, or anything with nutritional water - that means anything other than water or diet coke(s) type of thing. Anything that has a calorie will upset the blood test.

So have you been drinking stuff other than water? If so it can raise the blood sugar level.

As for testing, side of the finger (not the pad) and after you wash your hands with soap and warm water OR use an alcohol swap to really clean off any residue from anything.

Unless you have one of those testers designed for taking blood from the arm. Then follow the directions on that.

While your Blood Sugar is high, it falls with in nominal parameters.

However if in doubt do see your doctor.

Really Bowyn?

All my doctors said it doesnt matter where you take your blood sample.
They perfer the finger, but mine get too sore when I do that...so I use the "pad" of my palm.

Well I was lectured by the ER nurse for various things, including my desire to want to take a prick from a forearm to test his sugar when he starts acting funny. "No no no (says she) it must be from the finger, the sides of the finger, not the pad!"

Then she proceeded to teach me how to do it 'correctly'.

It may be the machine they gave? IDK... I thought blood was blood no matter where you took it - nurse seemed to think that blood is different or tainted from other areas.

I also learned how to give the injection with the pen... She was not amused to learn that I knew how to hit veins due to my drug past and having "helped" other "friends" to use. A woman of little to no humor. Rolleyes

Maybe I had already pissed her off with my smile and 'jokes'.

For instance she told me that on the needles (not just the pens) I need to depress the plunger and then count to ten while the needle is still in him. I said 'oh Gee, all of those years slamming meth and I was doing it wrong' She didn't laugh. My land lord did, his roommate and his wife laughed, the nurse just frowned.

EV-ree SING-ull TIME I see the thread title, the first thing I think of is

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Well I was lectured by the ER nurse for various things, including my desire to want to take a prick from a forearm to test his sugar when he starts acting funny. "No no no (says she) it must be from the finger, the sides of the finger, not the pad!"

Then she proceeded to teach me how to do it 'correctly'.

It may be the machine they gave? IDK... I thought blood was blood no matter where you took it - nurse seemed to think that blood is different or tainted from other areas.

I also learned how to give the injection with the pen... She was not amused to learn that I knew how to hit veins due to my drug past and having "helped" other "friends" to use. A woman of little to no humor. Rolleyes

Maybe I had already pissed her off with my smile and 'jokes'.

For instance she told me that on the needles (not just the pens) I need to depress the plunger and then count to ten while the needle is still in him. I said 'oh Gee, all of those years slamming meth and I was doing it wrong' She didn't laugh. My land lord did, his roommate and his wife laughed, the nurse just frowned.

I have been lucky I have had nurses and Dr.s with senses of humor.
Blood DOES "settle" in areas, but I think it depends on how diabetic you are, or how you dont follow orders on what to eat and when to take meds.
But basically Ive been told it really doesnt matter where you draw blood. Some people do it on the fingers, some on the palms, some on their arms or legs.

So far, Ive had no issues with it.

okay, i think it's time for diabetic to speak up, and from what I've been told by both nurses and a doctor who specializes in juvenile/type 1 diabetes it doesn't make a huge difference where you test as long as the test site is sterile and that you should wait at least 2 to 3 hours between meals to test. well there's my 2cents, hope it helps.

jaxc Wrote:okay, i think it's time for diabetic to speak up, and from what I've been told by both nurses and a doctor who specializes in juvenile/type 1 diabetes it doesn't make a huge difference where you test as long as the test site is sterile and that you should wait at least 2 to 3 hours between meals to test. well there's my 2cents, hope it helps.

I have had type 1 diabetes for 10 years and I have always done it on my finger but I learned it does not matter a lot of people will do it on their arms because it hurst less. Just make sure the site is clean and you do not put to much pressure because or strain yourself because that can affect it. I was told to do it however I was comfortable with. Sometimes nurses will try to tell me to do it a certain way and I tell them look I have had this for a decade I know what my body is like and I know what I was taught. I got it when I was 13 years old and I passed out from a blood sugar of 1700 and I was flown down to a bigger hospital.

My Ideal blood sugar range is 120-130 that is what my doctor wants it at (does not mean it is that lol)