Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Body Image
Throughout the majority of my life, I have struggled with self-image issues and besides it affecting me personally, it has affected me socially. I'm hoping to see if there is anyone who has overcome these thoughts of inadequacy or is currently on the road to overcoming these self-injurious tendencies and if they may be able to offer some advice for me to feel better about myself.
Thanks guys

Mutedlogic: welcome!

I think everyone stuggles with insecurities. If its not self body issues, its something else. I know I stuggle at times with my body image. I know that if I took better care of my body, ate better, drank better, excercised (and lost the extra pounds) that I would feel better about my body image and in turn in would help my social life. Don't get me wrong, I can be a social butterfly at times, be the life of the party and rock the dance floor, but I still feel insecure about my body at times.

Hi Mutedlogic welcome!
Most every one I know is unhappy with their body image, as Airborn stated it is just insecurities.
You will be surprised, at how tough we are on ourselves, not to sound to cliche, but we really are our own worse critics.

The trick is to be happy with the person you are, not the person that the modelling industry expects you to be.

Self esteem comes from within,concentrate on the positives and don't sweat the small stuff.
You are perfect just the way you are.Confusedmile:

Hey buddy, welcome! I think I have an idea of what you mean... Throughout high school and a few years after I was in good shape, ran A LOT and was thin, etc. Then I gained some weight, well, I was about 160, then I went up to a little over 200! Evidently I was considered too thin when I was 160, a bit over 200 was a little to big but not like fat, in my opinion, anyways, I lost weight and went down to about 167, but still thought I was a bit over weight, everytime I'd look down or in a mirror I'd see fat. My therapist threated to put me in an eating disorder program because I was eating about 800 to 1000 calories a day, some days not eating anything. I figured the last thing I need is another program to go to, as I just finished one for depression so I put on some weight and now I'm like 185 last I checked, about a week ago, I think I'm like 183 now.

Anyways, Everyone I know has told me that I look good, etc. and am not fat, and they voluntarily told me this, I didn't mention I thought I was fat, etc. So I guess I'm not but I still feel I am and don't eat that often. As soon as I can afford to get a gym membership I am going to and go likely every day, like I use to back in my high school and army days.

But I think I know what you mean, I have body issues, I have people telling me I'm not fat, I look good, if I got any thinner it'd look unhealthy but when I look at myself all I see is this extra weight that I don't want. So who knows... they seem to see one thing, I see another. Right now, since I just got through going through a lot of crap I'm putting this issue on the back burner, not really dealing with it right now, but I'm sure once I get my life back in order, which it should be within a month or two, then I'm going to have to deal with this issue.

Well I know I for one am insecurities with my body. I hate people looking at my gut which is where most of my weight is and I'm one of those people that can hid weight well with the right kind of clothes. Now that I'm so aware of my weight I think other or I think others see me that way and don't want to be with someone that has a weight problem.

I am glad to say that last year I did lose 40lbs and hope to lose that again this year.

Nudist/clothes optional camps. You learn quickly that a body is a body. But that can be frightening don't think I'm quite ready to go to one of them on my own. Maybe someday with my boy.

Yeah, body image is a huge issue, particularly with young gay male. However, we tend to pay too much attention to body image and end up attracting the wrong people. We all have our body parts that we aren't happy with, maybe at times uncomfortable with.

I tend to ask myself if my nose was on someone elses face, would I notice it as much as I notice it on my face...the answer is usally no, so I rationalise that if I don't notice it on someone else then chance are no one cares what my nose looks like on my face..

I mean whatever you aren't comfortable with, perhaps you could change, if not, time and experience will lead you to being less self conscious, especially when you find that special someone in your life Wink

dfiant Wrote:I tend to ask myself if my nose was on someone elses face, would I notice it as much as I notice it on my face...the answer is usally no, so I rationalise that if I don't notice it on someone else then chance are no one cares what my nose looks like on my face..

That is very interesting and honestly I've never thought of it that way. It certainly opens up my mind about how I may criticize myself more than another person would. Thank you!

I know exactly how you feel. Im constantly stressing over my appearance. I find something wrong with myself and then i fix it. Then i find something else wrong and have to find a way to fix that also. Its constantly a battle with myself. Others are always telling me that im crazy. That im a really good looking guy, but i just dont feel like i am. Im always wondering what others see that i dont.

mutedlogic Wrote:That is very interesting and honestly I've never thought of it that way. It certainly opens up my mind about how I may criticize myself more than another person would. Thank you!

You're more than welcome Wink