Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bonfire night
[SIZE="2"]Who thinks Bonfire night is still as important as Halloween and who will be celebrating it on Saturday 5th November, I know I’m going out and enjoying it. [/SIZE]
MexicanwaveMexicanwave

Never been too big on Halloween, but I haven't heard of Bonfire Night. Care to elaborate a bit for us ignorant people?

Anosai Wrote:Never been too big on Halloween, but I haven't heard of Bonfire Night. Care to elaborate a bit for us ignorant people?
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]
Bonfire Night happens every year on the 5th of November to celebrate the failure of the gunpowder plot by Guy Fawkes in which a group of 13 Catholic extremists trying to return England to the Catholic faith tried to blow up the Houses of Parliament in 1605 when the Protestant King James I, his sons and most of the people were still inside.
Guy Fawkes had rolled 36 barrels of gun powder into the cellars and was waiting for the King when guards broke in and arrested him. They were tortured in the tower of London and killed. And some of those who were in the gunpowder plot were caught in a house just down the road from where I live and were shot to death.

Bonfire night celebrations in the UK involve the building and burning of bonfires, with "guys" to represent Guy Fawkes being burnt on top of the bonfires, Bonfire Night firework displays are held throughout the UK and many people let of fireworks in their backgardens with sparklers given to the children and bonfire night parties run throughout the night. In the past children used to go out with a their "guys" to ask people for money with the phrase "penny for a guy" and sing the rhyme "Remember, remember the fifth of November, gunpowder, treason, and plot, I see no reason why gunpowder treason will ever be forgot." That does not happen today well not where I live anyway. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Coffee

Ah, I know of the date and event just never heard it called Bonfire Night. Guess it's just not a big thing in the States. Learn something new every day!

I thought it was going to be some sort of old pagan tradition or something similar.

Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder, treason
Should ever be forgot...

Well it was an event which happend in the UK, so I'm not sure if any other countires celebrate it Tongue
Not sure if I'll be doing anything this year though. Normally each year we just build a big fire on a field.

Americans;
a Bonfire Night celebration could put cities like Detroit off the map

Now when I first read the post I thought it would be something like Burning Man, but I know the Guy Fox story. And I know it from where most people outside of the UK know it from, "V for Vendetta".

Here is the closest thing to a bonfire night we have.

pellaz Wrote:Americans;
A Bonfire Night celebration could put cities like Detroit off the map

? OK

I've only celebrated it a few times when i was younger.:redface:
If i had a garden, i would launch my own fireworks. And i'd love it.:biggrin:

I've never actually been to a bonfire mind.
Only firework displays.:redface:

I get quite a good view of a few displays from my window mind.Confusedmile:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Burning 'Guys' on top of bonfires is a later tradition, initially it was effigies of the Pope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Burning 'Guys' on top of bonfires is a later tradition, initially it was effigies of the Pope.

Actually, it will have far more ancient origins, before their was such a thing as a Pope. It is very much in keeping with the legendary and sometimes mythological "King Sacrifices", human sacrifices of ancient Europe and the Middle-East.

Though the man who is responsible for creating Burning Man claims he knew nothing of the ancient sacrifices and created them as a ceremony of "radical expression" for the bonfires of the summer solstice.