Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books for LGBT ppl are harding it hard?
So I finished reading my book and I was woundering if any of you know of any books I could read which will give some inspiration forwards my live at the moment, as you know I'm finding it hard coming to terms with who I am.

Sounds like time for another plug for my favourite independent bookshop, Gay's The Word, in London. They are really helpful with suggestions for reading and they send books out on mail order. Phone during a weekday when they likely to be slightly less busy in the shop and I am sure they would be delighted to talk to you. Of course if you can get to any of their special events that would be even better.

Whenever I can I try to get to meetings of GALHA, the Gay And Lesbian Humanist Association and take part in any campaigning. I have often found the stories of people I have met at their London meetings to be inspirational.

I'm not in England at the moment so I can't just run to my bookshelf and pull titles out for you. You have to read a lot of misery in something like Mikey Walsh's "Gypsy Boy" before you get to the payoff, so I don't know how inspirational something like that might be.

marshlander Wrote:Sounds like time for another plug for my favourite independent bookshop, Gay's The Word, in London. They are really helpful with suggestions for reading and they send books out on mail order. Phone during a weekday when they likely to be slightly less busy in the shop and I am sure they would be delighted to talk to you. Of course if you can get to any of their special events that would be even better.

Whenever I can I try to get to meetings of GALHA, the Gay And Lesbian Humanist Association and take part in any campaigning. I have often found the stories of people I have met at their London meetings to be inspirational.

I'm not in England at the moment so I can't just run to my bookshelf and pull titles out for you. You have to read a lot of misery in something like Mikey Walsh's "Gypsy Boy" before you get to the payoff, so I don't know how inspirational something like that might be.

Thanks marshlander, I think I asked this before back in 2007, but cheers mate. I'll give them a shout. I mean I'll ring them next weekend..

I've never read any gay literature before and I dont (I do now lol) know where to start.

There last time I went through a dark patch I watch a film call ' Quadrophenia'. The ending is left open so I think the lad
just said fuck being a teenager and all the crap that comes with that age a stand up as a man lol. Well thats what I think lol xx

Maybe I should listen to that last one again lol...

A trip to the local library might work too. Wilthire Library Service have published an online reading list at http://libraries.wiltshire.gov.uk/05_Rea...Lists.aspx

Scroll down to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans

marshlander Wrote:A trip to the local library might work too. Wilthire Library Service have published an online reading list at http://libraries.wiltshire.gov.uk/05_Rea...Lists.aspx

Scroll down to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans

Wow cheers, I better pay my fines then lol..

I do appreciate your help mate..

Xyxthumbs

I'm like the plot kine of Story of the night By Colm Toibin.

A daring and deeply moving novel set in Argentina in the time of the Generals--a time when the streets are empty at night, and people have trained themselves not to see. Richard Garay lives with his mother, hiding his sexuality from her and from society. Stifled by his job, Richard is willing to take chances, both sexually and professionally. But Argentina is changing, and as his country edges toward peace, Richard tentatively begins a love affair. The result is a powerful, brave, and poignant novel of sex, death, and the diffculties of connecting one's inner life with the outside world.

from http://books.google.com/books?id=PtinYfmkPTkC

But just found this book called The long firm by Jake Arnott, which is based on the Kray twins.

A recommendation here for anything by Jake Arnott.

The Long Firm isn't explicitly about the Krays but like many other sixties villains, they're there in the background. One of the chapters is a first hand, stream of conciousnessness account of Jack the hat Mcvitie's last hours.

Arnott paints a very good picture of a time he is too young to remember. I'm about the same age as he is and he makes me reminisce about a time I can't really remember either!

The Long Firm and He Kills Coppers have both been adapted for television and are probably available on DVD.

I'm on the last chapter of Johnny Come Home, which is set in the seventies. I've put it aside for the moment, I don't want to finish it because I've enjoyed reading it so much!

marshlander Wrote:Sounds like time for another plug for my favourite independent bookshop, Gay's The Word, in London...

Cool!:biggrin:
Only a 40 minute walk away.
I'll take note...*Writes it down*
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

Genersis Wrote:Cool!:biggrin:
Only a 40 minute walk away.
I'll take note...*Writes it down*
Excellent Smile Now use some of this lovely weather and get out of the house!

Many people use a bookshop for browsing and then purchase online from Amazon. I usually do it the other way round. GTW nearly went under a few years ago, so I try to pay them a visit and spend some money with them whenever I pass through London - which I shall be doing later today on my way back to The Fens from The Alps. Sadly I think I shall be getting into St Pancras too late :frown:

marshlander Wrote:Excellent Smile Now use some of this lovely weather and get out of the house!

Many people use a bookshop for browsing and then purchase online from Amazon. I usually do it the other way round. GTW nearly went under a few years ago, so I try to pay them a visit and spend some money with them whenever I pass through London - which I shall be doing later today on my way back to The Fens from The Alps. Sadly I think I shall be getting into St Pancras too late :frown:

I love high street shops. I would own a shop if I cud.....