Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bottled water. The biggest rip off.
I've know this for ages and I never buy bottled water.

http://inspiyr.com/bottled-water-scam/?u...n=Outbrain

I always get Evian bottle water, it tastes better than tap, and I've always lived in hard water areas, I beggining to think EVERY area is hardwater!

Well it makes you think, but what does it matter. Everything's going to hell in a handbasket anyway.

I use a simple Britta jug filter. It takes out most things like phosphates and heavy metals. Before it reached the Britta jug though, it goes through a carbon filter and then through a water softener.

water is a larger issue if you live in an arid region.

All of the water here comes from wells about 600 feet deep and this is not quite deep enough to filter out industrial farming. There is another water aquifer below this that is cleaner but is contaminated with a simple salt. It is unsuitable for the public water supply. In time the salt will off the yard grass trees.

The Denver City water system old enough to have lead pipes and or cast iron pipes that have lead used in its manufacturing. The government was not fast to out law lead solder (1988). From time to time residents get odd warnings in the mail, most likely caused by failed test reports of high levels of contamination, insecticides, metals, and radiation.

LONDONER Wrote:... use a simple Britta jug filter ...
Ineffective junk, i bet it comes in a fancy box tho.
People should take better care of your self; for drinking and cooking use a RO filter. If your living situation will permit the use of such.

As you live in the USA and presumably have no first hand knowledge of Britta filters I don't think your comment is particularly vaild. No, they don't come in fancy boxes.

there are physics that limit a carbon filter.
Do what you want tho

Penn & Teller's take on bottled water bullshit.

A bit long winded but it says it all really, doesn't it?

Most places do not need bottled water in the industrialized world... Mexico is part of the industrialized world where yes I suppose you really need to drink bottled water as there appears to be little no no real filtration of many Mexican municipal water supplies.

Most places in These United States are pretty strict when it comes to water standards, with federal and state guidelines that demand that water be incredibly pure - well incredibly pure by the standards of other places like, um, Mexico.

I'm uncertain about the United Kingdom, I assume they have some sort of rules and guidelines on public health and safety that has high standards on the safety of tap water.

I can detect the very faint scent of chlorine in tap water from the city. But I have been drinking/using well water for 16 years now.

My water is so hard it stands up, shouts at me and verbally abuses everyone... Its a constant battle, one has to use white vinegar on taps, and anything that holds any water for any length of time to remove the white deposits left behind a mixture of calicium and salts and a few other things.

I have been drinking it straight out of the tap for 16 years.

I do have it tested every three years for industrial farming chemicals (pesticides, herbicides and the like) and tested for its uranium content and other heavy metals and there is the screening for microbial life forms.

Denver water failed a federal test of their system late 2012 for lead. As a result they issued a notice to all their customers should ck for lead pipes and lead solder. The main reason they lost all construction records prior 1956 so if they have lead pipes they would be the last to know.

I lived in Fort Morgan Colorado, a hateful farming community out east. The State and Federal government took the community to court to get them to update their water system. The community was up in arms about this big time. The established residents said; "I grew up here and been drinking the water for 16+ years with out any effect". As a community they have a high cancer and low birth rates. The particulate count in the water was sooo bad you could not wash your car with it. The community also issued warning letters the tap water was unfit for at risk peoples.