Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brave, articulate young man!
But surely it is the teacher's duty to keep things at a reasonable level of mutual comprehension. Sometimes expelling a student is the only way to deal with mounting tension, and a way to defuse the situation.

I'd also point out that since the kid has already mentioned that he didn't like gays, well, then he'd already voiced his opinion once. Where was the loss of freedom of speech?

Wow! I'm truly speechless!

princealbertofb Wrote:But surely it is the teacher's duty to keep things at a reasonable level of mutual comprehension. Sometimes expelling a student is the only way to deal with mounting tension, and a way to defuse the situation.

I'd also point out that since the kid has already mentioned that he didn't like gays, well, then he'd already voiced his opinion once. Where was the loss of freedom of speech?

I'm not sure there was mounting tension, the school board seems to have disagreed. The teacher was wearing a shirt about anti-gay bullying, he was inviting controversy. He was clearly silencing the opinion of the kid's opinion. Punishing disagreement is not acceptable behavior.

Opinions, even bad ones, should not be punished merely for being shared. The degree to which the student was being provocative and acting out is debatable, but he clearly felt he was silenced for having an opinion. If a teacher had expressed an anti-gay opinion and a student were punished for disagreeing with it, would we be having the same debate?

I wouldn't agree with you, Pip about it inviting controversy. If he was wearing that T-shirt, it was probably to reinforce a rule that was badly enforced in the school or that was not sufficiently well known of the students. I would equate it with re-stating what the school rules are. They are NOT debatable. Anyone who doesn't agree with the rules can go and study elsewhere. Rules can be challenged but in the proper instances.

I know this has nothing to do with the actual debate here about gay-bullying, BULLYING which I find has no place in a school. However, it is a case in point. If the school does have anti-bullying policies and therefore rules to that effect, it should apply them and not pretend they don't exist.

I wasn't in the situation there, and would be hard pressed to say what really went on but I can see how it might have happened. In our school mobile phones are not allowed in the classroom and yet I find students using them daily. The student(s) may well disagree with this rule and think it is ok to use one while in class, but it doesn't make it any less reprehensible, if s/he should get caught using one. I often don't punish, but make a point of reminding them of the school rule. If they constantly disobey, I would be perfectly entitled to dismiss them, or give them detention for not obeying school policy, and disobeying me, or give them some extra work to drive the point home, maybe even write a word to the student's parents.

The rules are there to make the atmosphere of the class as fit for studying as is possible. Unruly students have to be warned, then punished if they transgress the rules that apply to everyone. It's a very fine line sometimes between what is bearable and what will eventually lead to chaos. Only the teacher can say what he is ready to put up with in terms of opposition in order to keep his class at a level of mutual understanding. If he felt he was losing it, his best option was probably to expell the students.

In the same way, I could be wearing a t-shirt saying: "Marijuana is illegal!" and that would probably invite controversy, but I'd be stating what legal rules apply in our country. Not that it would be my place, as a teacher, to punish those who contravene. But if students started being unruly about it and start a riot, then I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Without knowing any more details it does look like a sequence of events that was allowed to spiral out of hand. We all know how these occur. Maybe the teacher could have handled it all in a different way, who knows. I suppose it has raised the profile of some issues, but it seems to have come horribly close to a pissing contest.

Anyway, Graeme Taylor is the man of the hour.

YAY! Graeme Taylor!!! Mexicanwave

I salute you young man you are indeed an inspiration to others and to myself

Here's someone who really isn't very articulate, and who pushes people to their limits... just to illustrate the point I was making, which takes nothing away from Graeme's merits...
because GrAEME, HE'S BOVVERED!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: