Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking Eve
Breaking Eve is a book I am currently working on. It deals with someone living with depression and melancholy and how the world is seen through his/her eyes. Thought I'd post an excerpt of Breaking Eve here for you to peruse.

Birth of Death (Fall)

As I pass through each day with ennui, cursing the yellow God that sheds light upon this sphere, I am reassured that soon my yearning shall be sustained.

Before long, day will rest and night will awaken and the first tell tale signs of autumn shall brush across this land I will once again rejoice within the catapult of melancholy.

As the winds shift, I sense the somber charm of winters dare slowly grant thy wish of bitter cool early darkness. Perhaps born in autumn’s grace has influenced my love for this gray and desolate of seasons as she mesmerizes me with her cool and unforgiving sway.

Dew during the early moments of her wakefulness makes me feel alive as its moisture penetrates the fabric of my shoes. Her serene yet cunning nature trompe’s l’oueil as the sun slowly peaks yet her cool touch spreads itself with infinite content chilling the warmest of blood.

The deeper I fall in love with her, she quietly and with gentle passion tears at every limb, baring thy soul to the Heavens; naked and vulnerable. So proud within her prowess to ravage this landscape with cold fingertips, yet beautiful within her abuse on humanity.

Input would be appreciated Confusedmile:

Hi Selkirkguy Smile welcome to the forum.

You haven't mentioned if you write from your own experience or who the main character is. A male, a female? What's their occupation, their hobbies? I believe all those things can influence the way how they see the world around.

Without knowing it, I might be dead-wrong, but I'll try.
I love the first person point of view.
When I suffered depression, my thoughts were not that poetic. I didn't think in long sentences. I was constantly thinking about my mood (which was definitely influenced by the surrounding nature and the weather), but I didn't thing about weather or nature (weird LOL). My thoughts were full of maybes, what ifs and questions.

After re-reading... it feels melancholic. It strongly reminds me of 19th century romantic poets and writers. Smile

Hi Nick9 thanks for the welcome.

Although the title is Breaking Eve I am writing from personal experience. This was taken from the middle of what I have written so far.

Being diagnosed with depression years ago I agree that it is more melancholic and the way I view the world around me. Its funny how some people will see melancholy as doom and gloom while I am comfortable with myself and find it to be a wonderful source of inspiration. Smile

Smile maybe because they are afraid that melancholy goes hand in hand with depression and suicide thoughts. Which can, but need not be true.

I hope your depressive thoughts have faded away over the years Smile

I loved it, I suck at writing but I love to read and fall is my favorite time of the year. I can't wait until it's finished Smile

I would like to read more please.
So Eve as in New Year's Eve or other?
Forgive me , I always attempt to find the continuum connection .

Thanks for sharing this passage with us, the old english style that is peppered throughout makes it seem ancient, timeless and passionate. I hold a wild, feral love for the transmutation of one's torment into words.

Let me know when it's finished. : )

I've always wondered how one would go about self-publishing.. Do you literally fire-up the inkjet.. or is there a special place where they print/press them?

Lets see you dress in black, you approach the subject as melancholia, not depression, and you do it in a flowery, prosaic manner.

The only question I have is how long have you been depressed? :biggrin:

As soon as I started reading I thought 'Ah, someone who knows this intimately.'

And then reading through the other posts, sure enough, you are indeed one of us.

Its good. Xyxthumbs