Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking News.... For all the anti-gun peeps! GOD BLESS THE U.S.
Almac Wrote:No-one can ever say defending oneself is wrong, however, the Yanks have the sheer ability of turning a case of alleged self-defence into something tawdry and awful. The sight of that woman brandishing a gun for the camera was not nice. All that scene needed was John Wayne and a piece of 'All American Apple Pie' to complete it....

There you go, dear.

Inchante Wrote:There you go, dear.

Thanks......! lol

Almac Wrote:No actually I did not mean you, but the American psychology of gun ownership.

Ah yes. This is sort of true. Personally I grew up in a hunting family and firearms have been around me as long as I can remember. I see it as a tool and as such I was taught how to use them and how to use them safely. There are people who like to ruin. It for everyone and use them incorrectly. That happens with nearly everything.

That's what I'm talking about people who are brought up with guns as a tool and have deep respect for the potential that firearm can do.

sneakyc25 Wrote:Ah yes. This is sort of true. Personally I grew up in a hunting family and firearms have been around me as long as I can remember. I see it as a tool and as such I was taught how to use them and how to use them safely. There are people who like to ruin. It for everyone and use them incorrectly. That happens with nearly everything.

Don't worry about it, Sneaky, Almac is just participating in a type of chauvinism common to Western Europe and the British Isles . . . "my culture is better than your 'tawdry' one and, there for, I should be able to invade you, colonize you, enslave your people, and reeducate you on how wonderful my own culture is and force you to adopt our religion". It is just that same mentality: My way is better than yours, you should do it my way, end of story . . . of course Countryboy kind of started it out on that kick to begin with . . . a women shot someone in self deffence=God Bless America. That is chauvinism too.

Almac, if guns were "worshiped" in the United States as they are in the movies, gun control would not be a hugely controversial issue here. Aren't the British always saying that Hollywood is full of crap . . . funny thing about fiction is that it is always full of crap, whether the crap its depicting is on this side of the pond or that side of the pond. That is why it is entertainment and not reality.

And I know for a fact that one can readily get a gun legally in GB just by signing the right papers and having the same type of background that is typical of most people in Britain as well as the United States.

blokeinsussex Wrote:Which country would that be? Not the UK where its pretty damned easy to get an illicit weapon.

Why are so few home burglars armed then? We are still a fairly unarmed society.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Because they know they don't need to be armed to take what they want. A TV, a stereo, money, life.

Sent from tapatalk

fredv3b Wrote:Why are so few home burglars armed then? We are still a fairly unarmed society.

Britain was a fairly unarmed society before many of the current gun laws were initiated. It would be a fairly armed society too if 3/4 of its history was characterized by expansion into and development of vast amounts of wilderness . . . well, within its own borders. Must add that proviso.

Fredrick Remington Painting:
[Image: 2006FredricRemington.jpg]

I don't really have a problem with gun ownership, my parents have a shotgun and rifle in the house. Although, small arms could benefit from stricter control in the USA. The majority of illegally owned guns in Canada are smuggled in from the USA, the lax gun laws in the USA negatively effect us by making it much easier for criminals to acquire guns. Even so, in the USA the majority of gun related deaths are suicides, and after that the majority of people murdered by handgun are criminals themselves (and most of them under the age of 21, and not by would-be victims). That means for the vast majority of people the risk of being killed by someone breaking into your house is very very low. I think it a bit ridiculous for people to go around talking about the need to have a gun to protect themselves from something highly unlikely, it's just perpetuating the culture of irrational fear that drives the gated-community/home security industry as a whole. All arming a civilian population with handguns does is create an arms race with criminals, they arm themselves in turn and then everyone is at greater risk of harm.

fredv3b Wrote:Why are so few home burglars armed then? We are still a fairly unarmed society.

Are they? What are the figures you're basing this assertion on?