Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breast feeding in public... One week debate
I can be a bit of a prude and to be honest it'd make me a little uncomfortable... but, they have ever right to do it in public. There are many places where nudity is no big deal but unfortunately the U.S. in general isn't one of them and I'm one of those guys who also feels out of place in a locker room, I'd rather change on my own... but I can recognize that breastfeeding is natural and know that babies need to be fed when they need to be fed. Why should a woman have to go to a germ-infested bathroom where someone might have just smelled it up? Babies are a beautiful thing.

I think that those who object to seeing it, on the grounds that they view it as in some way sexual, are the ones with the issue; that seems to me a very strange way to perceive it! I would absolutely defend any woman's right to breastfeed just about anywhere she needed to. I do agree with Joseph though that it should be the parents personal choice; I wonder if in some venues you'd get more scorn for bottle feeding, ha. I'm being glib, but so strong is the message that 'breast is best' that sometimes I feel that using formula is a little demonised...what Joseph said!

marshlander Wrote:There is something very wrong in a society that thinks there is something wrong with breastfeeding in public places. I have never seen a mother do it less than discreetly. If a baby needs feeding it needs feeding. The only problem with breastfeeding in public is other people's stupid and selfish attitudes :mad:

Well said, could not agree more ......

jbrowder24 Wrote:I can be a bit of a prude and to be honest it'd make me a little uncomfortable... but, they have ever right to do it in public. There are many places where nudity is no big deal but unfortunately the U.S. in general isn't one of them........

It never ceases to amaze me that Americans take great pride in thier freedom yet hinder, what I feel, is basic human rights. I know some people in Canada my have a problem with it but I just tell them to deal with it. Baby needs food, if mom can breast feed baby, it's nobodies business...

DM

It is the most natural thing in the world and the original fast food. When I see a woman breast feeding her young I feel that there is still something right with the world, and I smile.

The purpose of breasts is to feed babies. A mother has an instinct to feed her child when he/she is hungry. That trumps everything. I don't see any problem at all and if it bothers anyone that would be an excellent time to look away.