Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Falklands
I know a great deal about this situation, in short, don't blame the poor Argentines, they're stuck with "her excellency" Cristina as their head of state. Cristina is making a big brouhaha over the Falklands ( or "Les Malvina"s as she calls them) to distract from her disastrous domestic record, crime is out of control, inflation is rising (ironically her late husbands claim to fame was curbing the Argentine inflation crisis) amongst other problems.
All of the Argentines I know don't like her any more than you Brits do. The only choice they have is to vote for someone to the right of her, which is just as bad.
It's a complex situation in Argentina with no easy answers.
Please don't believe that she represents the average Argentinéan.
That's like believing Imelda Marcos is an average Filipina.
(what Imelda is to shoes, Cristina is to designer clothes).

Don't think I want to go here. Americans killed the Indians, South Africans the Blacks, British...

Falklanders want to be british, the end

Have any of you actually been to the Falkland Islands?

I have. I was there in 1982 just as the fighting was coming to an end (Im ex military) The place is a DUMP and there is almost zero self sustaining economy.

Of course they voted to stay British, we pump almost £100M into their economy every year by maintaining the FBA (Falklands Base Area) and supply a steady stream of the only new blood to visit the islands in generations (the military guys who rotate in every 6 months) They would get nothing from Argentina give the state of that economy.

ObW
X