Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
British slang.....
Its not my standards, its just true, apart from the historic streets, its lost what london was. Sorry ive talked to lots of people about this, young & old, yet immagration soldiers on regardless of the people who oppose it.

gregs317 Wrote:My favorite Britcom has been 'Keeping Up Appearances', although it's getting kind of old now. My recent favorite Brit show is 'EastEnders'.

Man, I really need to get to England one of these days, lol.

Agree with you on the Bucket woman for British classics and would add "Are you being served?" and "Absolutely Fabulous" also The Vicar of Dibley. Why we cant have sitcoms like this across the pond I'll never know.

Regarding the slang/accent-There was a character on Ab Fab. A lady who worked at Patsy's office, so you didn't see her that often, but most of every word she uttered, I would have to hear her several times to understand her, if at all. British slang can be so tough to get sometimes.

I also need to get my butt to the U.K. too. I have relatives in Blackpool and have never been there.

I'd like to add that I've nothing against colloquialisms, abbreviations, and more casual forms of address. I don't want to be a grammar snob but I do find some urban slang quite threatening. It's not proper English and some of it is actually meant to bully and intimidate outsiders and locals who do not speak the lingo and aren't part of the 'right crew'. I know certain groups probably have their own accents, dialects of ways of speaking such as some Afro-Caribbeans and that's fine because that's a proper dialect of English but some forms of slang, like the one used in Attack the Block (the film where aliens invade a council estate in London, released in 2011) are just stupid, nonsensical, and quite frankly offensive and intimidating.

Cockney rhyming slang is fine but is practically extinct anyway thanks in part to mass immigration and thanks in part to it being replaced with the more recent aforementioned style of slang.

I might start a thread titled "Medical Slang" and ask about Bangers and Mash and crisps.

If someones fallen under a bus i think it would be perfectly legit to say " he is bangers and mash"

Sport77 Wrote:There was a character on Ab Fab. A lady who worked at Patsy's office, so you didn't see her that often, but most of every word she uttered, I would have to hear her several times to understand her, if at all..

That would have been 'Bubble'

Her accent was from Northern England (Yorkshire or Lancashire I think) but her unique way of speaking made it even harder to understand! :biggrin:

Quote Bookworm
That would have been 'Bubble'

Her accent was from Northern England (Yorkshire or Lancashire I think) but her unique way of speaking made it even harder to understand!

Actually. Although Bubble I found difficult to understand I meant Helen Lederer who played Catriona, who I found almost impossible to get.

[Image: hqdefault_zpsde15cf62.jpg]

[Image: 10092_zps635f8f3c.gif]

^^Yes, she is equally unintelligible at times. Its that damn lisp! :biggrin:

i like them words. howay man hadaway anshite lagjs is. its funny.

I also like how the word 'love' is used as a term of endearment. For example at the end of TItanic, "Can I have your name please, love?"