Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Britishisation of American
I very much look forward to the day when "fag" will only mean "cigarette."

ttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19670686
"Britishisms and the Britishisation of American English" BBC New By Cordelia Hebblethwaite
[Image: _63132611_words1(1).jpg]

Are you certain that is correct?

Last time I heard, you had McDonald's, KFC, and a lot of good American Products....:eek:

:biggrin:

Hold the phone....McDonald's is a good American product?

You feeling ok Bowyn? You sounded a bit delusional there Confusedmile:

pellaz Wrote:I very much look forward to the day when "fag" will only mean "cigarette."

Funny you should say that. Because about 7 hours ago, I was reading a British novel where fag was used to mean cigarettes ("He smokes fags !" and I was really confused about the relationship between smoking and homosexuals. Only after a few minutes did I understand what it meant.
Some co incidences are creepy.

I always thought that fag was slang for a cigarette.
As a child I used to love the fag lollies ,pretend cigarettes.
I think we still have them here.
[Image: 71056_87418472068_1381039_n.jpg]

Puck Wrote:Hold the phone....McDonald's is a good American product?

You feeling ok Bowyn? You sounded a bit delusional there Confusedmile:

No I was being witty and sarcastic or something.... I think... I don't know, KFC, Mc Donalds, Pizza The Hut - all good. :eek:

smartdevil333 Wrote:Funny you should say that. Because about 7 hours ago, I was reading a British novel where fag was used to mean cigarettes ("He smokes fags !" and I was really confused about the relationship between smoking and homosexuals. Only after a few minutes did I understand what it meant.
Some co incidences are creepy.

lol I am not sure if it is used in English, but here to smoke also means to give a BJ :biggrin:

I use many of those terms & phrases. My family thinks it's how Californians speak, however.

But then internet service there ("behind the pine curtain") is spotty at best (most don't even bother and when they do it's like 10 years behind the times at least, and same for cell phones) and I'm sure most people who saw or read Harry Potter did so to find the satanic references rather than out of enjoyment. So I can see why they're clueless on how global the village is becoming.

Rainbowmum Wrote:I always thought that fag was slang for a cigarette.
As a child I used to love the fag lollies ,pretend cigarettes.
I think we still have them here.
[Image: 71056_87418472068_1381039_n.jpg]

"Candy cigarettes" became "Candy sticks" in the later part of my childhood... Now I can't find them nowheres.