Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken Vigilante
Pix Wrote:I'm sure I wouldn't. I can find debate mentally stimulating and I've had friendly debates that didn't devolve into nastiness but it seems some people mistake name calling for intelligent debate and arguing with them is ultimately just "is so" vs. "is not" and I don't find that stimulating or interesting.
Yeah, on the christianforums, most discussion end up with a side running out of arguments and then either repeating their conclusion("EG, "But homosexuality is unnatural." when we've proved otherwise already.) Or they are only left with the bible to argue with. Which the liberal Christians tend to disagree with their interpretation of, and the thread becomes an argument over biblical interpretation. Something that Christians will never agree on.

Quote:The board I help moderate is actually a fan board but one guy was allowed to post there after he got banned from a much more active board he'd been on for years for threatening people (among other things). At the time I was a mod of that other board as well (and then I had almost no time for the internet for a couple of years and quit as I couldn't keep up with it) and I was actually one of the few who spoke up in his defense to the other mods when it was being discussed what to do about him (I favored a temporary ban rather than a permanent one) but he's blamed me repeatedly for his permanent ban. I really don't get why he keeps antagonizing me if he believes that given that I'm still the mod of the other board (which receives a lot less traffic save for the X-rated fanfic section and I just normally check it briefly every other day or so to get rid of spambots that post about half of everything outside the X-rated forum with the right wing bigot coming close to making up the other half).
Well you may be the only mod from the site he still has contact with, and as he wants someone to blame, you were his only option.

Why would right wingers even bother?
It's only fanfic with erotic components...just doesn't seem that much of a big deal; Well, to me anyway.:confused:

Quote:It's not supposed to be political at all, but because he kept ticking everyone off with his right wing extremist posts that were sometimes racist as well as sexist & homophobic we created a special political & religious forum just so he can post (and most members can ignore him). Because he incites such strong feelings from time to time I feel compelled to at least skim his many posts as part of being a mod though creating a forum that is mostly just him has helped contained the problems he was causing. (The guy who runs the board and myself do feel sorry for him and believe him mentally ill and probably brain damaged from alcohol poisoning and living a miserable existence in which his only meaningful contact of any kind is our board which is why we tolerate him.) If I wasn't a mod, however, I'd almost never bother to read his threads anymore as I'm just so sick of his continual rants inspired (I'm generous here, he mostly just cuts & pastes from these sites with a few obnoxious and clueless statements thrown in) by the often extreme right wing blogs and sites. He does post a little that's more appropriate from time to time (about as often as everyone else) but I'd say that's less than 10% of his posts.
Ooo, i wonder how many of those blogs i'm now familiar with.:tongue:
But it is nice of you to let him keep posting.

Quote:Btw, off topic, but back when I participated in the X-rated fanfic & fanart forum I was writing mostly heterosexual fics while most of the heterosexual guys were writing lesbian slash. Roflmao Still, I got a lot of praise for my erotica (both slash and ship, that is to say both gay and het) and I even have a tiny pin mailed to me as a prize for winning a contest (I won 2 contests in that forum, one was for one of my rare femslash fics and the other was a heterosexual ship, but I can't recall which one I got the pin for).
Heh, cool.:biggrin:
I've never been of fanfic, let alone erotic fiction.:redface:
Reading about sex seems to run across this thin line, where it's sexual enough to make me feel awkward, but not enough to...well...turn me on.:redface:
Well done though.Cool

Quote:That specific forum (which one has to be a member and claim to be 18+) is why most people go these days and so of course they're not interested in the most toxic kinds of right wing rants with evangelical overtones. Luckily they've learned to stay out of "his forum" for the most part and we transfer any offensive threads to "his forum" when we catch them in the other forums before they can cause problems.

A smart move, but if a fair amount of other members start complaining a lot, about this right wing guy, you may want to consider catering to them over this troubled guy.
Hey; maybe he'll move to the forum i'm a member of.:tongue:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

What surprises me is that you have only met one such person.

Back in my 20's, before there was an internet this kind of individual hung out around gay bars in order to find other bashers to gang up and literally bash gays with things like baseball bats.

Now days they hide behind a screen name and say all manner of shocking crap in order to 'shock and awe' the little people in their lives. Don't worry, we are all little people to this sorts of people.

If you have a legal case here then pursue legal actions. If there are no legal crimes taking place ignore them.

You cannot educate the willfully ignorant - they choose to remain in ignorance, they choose to ignore facts and spout their particular brand of hatred.

I have gone toe to toe with others like this one - the argument is never won and you only end up screaming at yourself or your computer possibly busting a vein or developing an ulcer.

The first step to becoming one of them is to fall into the same trap, except instead of targeting gays you target Republicans, or Conservatives or The Church... same behaviors being played out against different teams is still bashing.

QueenOdi Wrote:@Pixie - wow :eek: . You always blow my mind with your knowledge, especially of Politics, cause that's one area I'm really no good at :tongue: .

I wonder if the man were to actually sit down and whole heartedly talk to and listen to a gay or lesbian person, maybe he could see his blunders and realize that everyone is equal and practically the same.

I think I get him to momentarily reconsider before he rushes back to his extremist blogs and reaffirms his worldview. And as usual he responded to whining about how the gay issue came up again (when one of the others--a moderate Republican at that who finds him an embarrassment--told him if he didn't want to talk about it then stop bringing it up in a contemptuous tone) and trying to share about something else as if it proves a point...in this case how a Christian was unjustly persecuted (though technically the guy was unjustly persecuted who then converted to Christianity) as if that means somehow it's impossible for gays to have it hard because some Christian has had it hard. He's done that in many other ways as well, the laughable assumption being if Obama is for the use of drones and supports the Patriot Acts that therefore Republicans can't (likewise, proving corruption in Democrats proves that Republicans are saints).

He's very educated and well-read, but he doesn't have a functioning brain (at least not anymore) and I think the right wing blogs have trained him to think in logical fallacies.

The thing was in this case I was actually sympathetic to what he posted and that caused me to lower my guard so when he randomly threw in a paragraph at the end vilifying gays and accusing the government of forcing him to "celebrate (not merely tolerate) homosexuality" it took me by surprise and I just lost it.

QueenOdi Wrote:Although, I've said it before, like most animals, it's assumed we are born bisexual or in the general sense, sexual

I don't know how bisexuals animals tend to be (certain species exempted as they are clearly bisexual) but homosexuality can be found all through the animal kingdom. However, I have yet to see one case of homophobia among animals (either shunning or attacking). So I guess what so many actually mean to say is homoPHOBIA is unnatural. :tongue:

The forum I'm still the mod of had temporarily become the alternative place while the more popular boad was down for awhile (and double postings were common, and they were considered "sister boards"). After the other board worked out its problems and became active again most people went back there so that the board I still help moderate has mostly withered (but every time the other board goes down we get a lot of them back).

The only difference is that the board I moderate has an X-rated forum and that's all that keeps it alive because the other board serves all the other needs. It's not uncommon for stories on the other board to have chapters in the X-rated forum on the less popular board as well (with links to it on the more popular board). Every once in awhile some dirty or other politically incorrect joke is also placed to on the less popular board (as it has far fewer rules) and linked to on the more popular board as well.

Genersis Wrote:maybe he'll move to the forum i'm a member of.:tongue:

I'd like to do that but he can't get along on most right wing boards either because he has such mistrust and sometimes even hatred of cops that he ends up getting banned by them sooner or later (he's even, gasp, sympathized with OWS when they get sprayed & tasered by cops), and also hates many of the "national security" measures (like Patriot Acts, NDAA, etc) praised by most conservatives (as he fears the liberals will use those measures against conservatives like him--though he's stated he doesn't care about those in Gitmo right now but he does worry than he might be there one day for being a white male clinging to God and his guns). Years ago I recommended a libertarian board that shared his contempt of cops to him but he ended up getting flamed from there after he shared how he got rid of an obnoxious neighbor by making an anonymous tip to the cops that he was dealing drugs that got the neighbor raided and evicted (and he just rubbed them the wrong way for the months leading up to that as they thought he was a whiner).

In the past I've accused him of trying (perhaps subconsciously) to alienate everyone he can but he denies it and takes offense that I'd think so.

Bowyn Aerrow; Wrote:What surprises me is that you have only met one such person.

Back in my 20's, before there was an internet this kind of individual hung out around gay bars in order to find other bashers to gang up and literally bash gays with things like baseball bats.

Now days they hide behind a screen name and say all manner of shocking crap in order to 'shock and awe' the little people in their lives. Don't worry, we are all little people to this sorts of people.

If you have a legal case here then pursue legal actions. If there are no legal crimes taking place ignore them.

You cannot educate the willfully ignorant - they choose to remain in ignorance, they choose to ignore facts and spout their particular brand of hatred.

I have gone toe to toe with others like this one - the argument is never won and you only end up screaming at yourself or your computer possibly busting a vein or developing an ulcer.

The first step to becoming one of them is to fall into the same trap, except instead of targeting gays you target Republicans, or Conservatives or The Church... same behaviors being played out against different teams is still bashing.
Well another has stepped forward, humorously basically saying "You haven't beaten up as many people as me!"

I really thought this kind of extremism, of taking the law into ones own hands against those you blame the worlds ills on, died out around 50 years ago with jumps in forensic science.

Pix Wrote:The forum I'm still the mod of had temporarily become the alternative place while the more popular boad was down for awhile (and double postings were common, and they were considered "sister boards"). After the other board worked out its problems and became active again most people went back there so that the board I still help moderate has mostly withered (but every time the other board goes down we get a lot of them back).

The only difference is that the board I moderate has an X-rated forum and that's all that keeps it alive because the other board serves all the other needs. It's not uncommon for stories on the other board to have chapters in the X-rated forum on the less popular board as well (with links to it on the more popular board). Every once in awhile some dirty or other politically incorrect joke is also placed to on the less popular board (as it has far fewer rules) and linked to on the more popular board as well.

I'd like to do that but he can't get along on most right wing boards either because he has such mistrust and sometimes even hatred of cops that he ends up getting banned by them sooner or later (he's even, gasp, sympathized with OWS when they get sprayed & tasered by cops), and also hates many of the "national security" measures (like Patriot Acts, NDAA, etc) praised by most conservatives (as he fears the liberals will use those measures against conservatives like him--though he's stated he doesn't care about those in Gitmo right now but he does worry than he might be there one day for being a white male clinging to God and his guns). Years ago I recommended a libertarian board that shared his contempt of cops to him but he ended up getting flamed from there after he shared how he got rid of an obnoxious neighbor by making an anonymous tip to the cops that he was dealing drugs that got the neighbor raided and evicted (and he just rubbed them the wrong way for the months leading up to that as they thought he was a whiner).

In the past I've accused him of trying (perhaps subconsciously) to alienate everyone he can but he denies it and takes offense that I'd think so.
He's hit a paradox, where he can't trust people who share the same views as him because he doesn't think they could be genuine.
Poe's paradox i think it's called?
Ironically, the site i'm a member of is where Poe's Law originates from.

It's sad, he probably has no friends, or at least none he trusts that much.:frown:

The man needs watched as his pediphilia instincts and feelings will never go away, the may rear their ugly head at any time, Jim ms
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRz-Six7p24KDjrx1F_V...A&usqp=CAU]