Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bryce Faulkner being held against his will by ex-gay fundamentalists?
marshlander Wrote:Perhaps, but should "the home of the brave" really be so scared of its gay population?

America has sensibly never claimed to be 'the home of the wise'. Sahmm

marshlander Wrote:Yes, of course there are laws in place to prevent unlawful imprisonment (although we all know how they can be over-ridden!), but first he has to be able to make contact with the outside world. If what is being alleged is really happening then the longer he is in "treatment" the more likelihood of other damage being done.

I am sorry I am not sure what you are referring to by being 'over-ridden'. By your comment about making contact with the outside world are you suggesting that he is being held in some remote mountain hideaway without phones where he simply can't walk outside and down the street to a pay phone?

marshlander Wrote:Whatever is going on, people are being hurt. The only good I can see at the moment is that it has raised awareness of the continuing awful activities of Exodus International. They do have a reach into this country and it was against the spread of such so-called treatment in this country that there was a demonstration in London back in April.

I agree.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:...I am sorry I am not sure what you are referring to by being 'over-ridden'. By your comment about making contact with the outside world are you suggesting that he is being held in some remote mountain hideaway without phones where he simply can't walk outside and down the street to a pay phone?...
A change in the law or a change in the way the law is implemented has, for example, introduced us to the phrase "extraordinary rendition", as sick a euphemism as "theatre of war". Fundamentalist extremists have their own ways of bullying people into doing what they want. See Andy's thread on exorcisms.

While the two sides are arguing over who is telling the truth Travis Swanson claims that his only contact from Bryce Faulkner has been a phone call asking him to come to the rescue.

I know the power of the kind of emotional blackmail to which I was subjected under not too dissimilar circumstances a few years ago. Had I still wanted to be a believer I think I could have been in worse trouble than proved to be the case :frown:

The truth is that we don't know (and perhaps may never know) the truth of what is happening.

marshlander Wrote:A change in the law or a change in the way the law is implemented has, for example, introduced us to the phrase "extraordinary rendition", as sick a euphemism as "theatre of war".

Extraordinary rendition and the like only refer to non-US citizens. The supreme court would never let anything of the like for US citizens.

Off topic but 'extraordinary rendition' is not so much euphemism or reuse of arcane diplomatic language. I've never understood the objection to the term 'theatre of war'.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.