Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bumper Stickers
So, I was driving to work this morning. I was in a little bit of a rush so naturally I was going around people, maybe going a little over the speed limit, etc. Then something on a beautiful new blue Ford Focus ST (awesome car by the way) caught my eye. A bumper sticker. It looked a little like this one, http://i1.cpcache.com/product/58874520/p...&width=225. I pulled up to the driver at the red light, who had there window open, and said "I like your bumper sticker". All I got back was a huge smile and a " Thank you." What do you guys think about these kind of things? Do these kind of things kind of over do it or is it showing support? I told my mom about it and she said she would love to get one but she felt it was not something the neighbors had a right to know if I didn't want them to.

Pftttttttttt! That woman only had one bumper sticker? hahahhahahhaha! There are couple of Moms up here with every type of bumper sticker possible for gay parents. Need to find my Mom's office in the building she's in? Just look for the two foot wide rainbow on the door sorta disguised with family pictures allllllll over the door. It's sorta awkward to have strangers walk up to me and say, "I know your mother" which is a polite way of saying, "I'VE SEEN ALL YOUR PICTURES ON HER OFFICE DOOR." She's even got a photo of me and Jay together behind her desk.

The neat thing about it is that I really don't think Moms who do this are doing it for the benefit of their gay kids but are doing it because they are really proud of their kids and aren't afraid to let other people know. When I see people with bumper stickers like that --- say on the interstate when I'm traveling --- I always catch up with them so I can give them a big grin and a thumbs up... and you know they all get a kick out of that.

Considering my mother and my had such as wonderful relationship (heavy sarcasm) I think anyone who has a mom or parent that is that open with their support is gosh darn lucky as all heck.

Your Mom sounds like she needs PFLAG.

Sounds like she needs a support group to deal with those neighbors.

Its got to be hard to love your kid and have to balance that with fear that there will be reprisal.... I feel for your mom.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Considering my mother and my had such as wonderful relationship (heavy sarcasm) I think anyone who has a mom or parent that is that open with their support is gosh darn lucky as all heck.

Its got to be hard to love your kid and have to balance that with fear that there will be reprisal.... I feel for your mom.

Bowyn's right about PFLAG. They tried to organize a chapter here but no one would come. Then after it was 86ed people came out of the woodwork. Now we have a loosely organized unafilliated group that's all community oriented --- people working with the school systems to get information out and give lyceums on the general subjects of tolerance, bullying and anything else they'll let us do. The school here in this town has a club for the eleven "out" students who seem to be having no problems or I'd have heard about them since they all know me. They do events year round to get parents together and parents and teens together. I go when I'm free and I'm always the one who gets called to help them do whatever labor or hauling needs to be done.... I mean my mom is the one who calls so how the hell do I get out of it? hahhahaa!

My mom won't use bumper stickers because she says they ruin the paint on her car. BUT she has a sweatshirt like that, which she often wears when we go out. Just in case anyone has any doubt about my orientation lol.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Considering my mother and my had such as wonderful relationship (heavy sarcasm) I think anyone who has a mom or parent that is that open with their support is gosh darn lucky as all heck.

My mom actually just went to visit the PHLAG office today while I was at home. (She heard out phlag from one of the 3 books she ordered on Amazon for parents of gay kids. Yeah, ik.....lmfaoo) And my mom couldn't care less what people would think about her if she had a bumper sticker like that. Trust me, she's a hardcore Notherner and doesn't give a shit. Lmfao. She is just worried I will get some kind of unwanted attention. I have some close relationships with my neighbors and some of them I feel wouldn't take it very well.....hahah

Virge Wrote:Bowyn's right about PFLAG. They tried to organize a chapter here but no one would come. Then after it was 86ed people came out of the woodwork. Now we have a loosely organized unafilliated group that's all community oriented --- people working with the school systems to get information out and give lyceums on the general subjects of tolerance, bullying and anything else they'll let us do. The school here in this town has a club for the eleven "out" students who seem to be having no problems or I'd have heard about them since they all know me. They do events year round to get parents together and parents and teens together. I go when I'm free and I'm always the one who gets called to help them do whatever labor or hauling needs to be done.... I mean my mom is the one who calls so how the hell do I get out of it? hahhahaa!

Your mom sounds amazing. Lol. And I wish there was something like that at my highschool. All we had was the GSA and that was a joke. Most of the members were straight and "cared" about the gay students. I call bullshit. But that was just my school......haha

Gabriel Wrote:My mom won't use bumper stickers because she says they ruin the paint on her car. BUT she has a sweatshirt like that, which she often wears when we go out. Just in case anyone has any doubt about my orientation lol.

I pretty sure my mom would love to put a bumper sticker on one of the many dents where she has hit things with her car Biglaugh

I think it is great if you want to express yourself....I also think it is great that you told her you liked it

My bumper stickers (and they are fading and tattered...I need new ones)...

[Image: peace_equality_300.jpg]

..and

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDeo7Avv-U52_R0l48Uho...zPcp0Qyq4B]

One of the many I have in my bathroom (and my favorite)

[Image: Jesus+save+me+from+your+followers.png]