Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Business and friendship don't mix?
Hey guys, sorry I've been away so long for those who remember ^^

I've just finished a lengthy email fight with my boss, which culminated in her not paying me for my final job (only around £60) because my images were not up to standard. We've basically left at the point where we don't want to talk to each other and I feel kinda guilty about this because we did have some good times together at events and training. It's one of those where it feels like a loss of a friendship.

The problem is pretty much everybody I talked to felt like I was being ripped off and a bit of a sucker, so I politely pursued the invoice. Second time I asked what was wrong and it came to an argument. I don't think I should feel bad about it but I still do. For a fee of around £900 from the wedding I felt being given my fuel costs and time wasn't too much to ask. What a shame to lose a friend over money :frown:

seems like business and friendship don't mix? what say ye

sorry for you loss and bad feelings
It is double bad when its a friend.
for me the business comes first tho.

Hiya Sil, I'm sorry to hear your worries, and it sucks to have a job go unpaid. I didn't get paid for some of the jobs I've done and I've always thought it was not on! But sometimes it's best not to lose your soul in pursuits of that sort, especially if you're going to lose your health over them. Sometimes it's good to know how to let go. Are you going to see any of that money, do you think?

princealbertofb Wrote:Hiya Sil, I'm sorry to hear your worries, and it sucks to have a job go unpaid. I didn't get paid for some of the jobs I've done and I've always thought it was not on! But sometimes it's best not to lose your soul in pursuits of that sort, especially if you're going to lose your health over them. Sometimes it's good to know how to let go. Are you going to see any of that money, do you think?

Heya Prince,

thanks for the advice; it does suck not to get paid when you need the money, but it's equally difficult asking for it. I haven't had my confidence knocked too much as to counter it I got a glowing review from a previous client Tongue seems consitency isn't my strong point! I think you're right though it was best to cut my losses with this one. I think I've got zero chance of seeing that money, but more will come with hard work Smile

I personally think that, although business & frienship doesn't always co-exist well, it's entirely dependent upon the people and the business.

In an office environment, probably not.

But in the Music business, you actually make more friends, though some enemies as well. Most of my friends are Musicians, who I met through music, so it depends.

I personally don't think I can function without having a joke here and there and alittle gossip on the side and what not. We actually do this sometimes behind stage, though we're quiet Wink .

So it depends on the environment/business/people.

I think friendship should be embraced, but then again, businesses have been running for hundreds of years seemingly successfully, so whatever floats your boat. :biggrin:

Sorry about your situation though :frown: .

Good luck with future endeavours, then, Sil, and glad to have you back on the site... Confusedmile:

Never mix business with friends/family is one my hard and fast rules.

G Day Sil, nice to see you back.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Money is the cause of many friendship break downs unfortunately.

Perhaps and agreement could have been made before the event rather than negotiate after?

I don't know, there is never a good answer as a greedy person is always going to be greedy and try to get out of everything cheaply.

Hi Sil ,welcome back.

I am so sorry that you got ripped of and lost a friend at the same time.
I always keep business and friendship separate.
You still should have gotten paid for your time.

Sounds like you should get your money from here. Don't let people take advantage of you cos you are young!!!

And I think that being friends with work mates is the best way to go. Cos if you're not friends and not enjoying ya work whats the point? I work in a cafe and have become fast friends with most people (Excluding the girl I went to school with... She hated me then and still hates me... It is true love! <3). But I enjoy my work and joke around with my co-workers and I have a blast at work. I look forward to going to work and that is how it should be.