Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CAMP, ELATING or KITSCH? Here comes The MUSICALS thread!!!
i love it marshalner! my mum is like nancy shany wallise.oliver is very cote i was like oliver me and mum. me and mum watch it evey christmaseve. i love sexy hihschool musicle. i seen joseph at the theter.

I don't believe we've had any Sondheim....well yes if you've counted West Side Story for which he did the lyrics. Any way here's Being alive from Sondheim's Company.

Mick

So thank you all for adding your bits of lore to this wonderful thread... I'm sure we'll be able to dig up some more pearls.

I was once fortunate enough to see Yul Brynner perform in the King and I onstage in London... this was a much better experience for me than watching a declining drunk Noureyev make a bit of a fool of himself at the Covent Gardens Opera House... the rest of the ballet cast was good though...But Rudy, oh what a disappointment!! (which takes away nothing from his previous grandeur, of course, he was a great great dancer and unfortunately also died of AIDS complications, so my heart goes out to him).
Yul and Debbie
THE KING AND I 1956
[Image: 30461d1226305607-your-favorite-dresses-m..._getty.jpg]
SHALL WE DANCE?

Oh boy! when he goes to hold her, for the proper hold, that is sooooooo sexy....

One of my childhood favourites: BUGSY MALONE by Alan Parker who used only children to make this splendid GANGSTER musical film. A budding smouldering Jodie Foster was already burning the screen.... Her name was Tallulah... And she got her trainin' in North Carolina, but you don't have to be lonely....
FAT SAM'S SPEAKEASY

MY NAME IS TALLULAH

Tallulah somehow reminds me of Lola who worked her ass off at the COPABACABANA

along with Barry Manilow's other cronies...

Now this may not be the best video, but if you can find an excerpt from the film that would be fine (probably). I don't personally like the ultra disco beat they put to the background, the original song being so much more samba and fun. Help me find what I'm looking for to illustrate this section.
COPACABANA

One thing leading to another, oh well, you know me, I found this which has the kitschest persona of Musicals, CARMEN MIRANDA. Must add some of her, and Groucho Marx...

Let's do the Copacabana (1947)

incidentally Copacabana is the wonderful long beach that spreads at the feet of Rio de Janeiro

Chica chica boom chic

Fred and Rita were never lovelier

THE SHORTY GEORGE

BEGIN THE BEGUINE
with jane Powell (I think)

YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH
so near and yet so far

wedding scene

Rita and Fred love to dance (Cugat's band playing in the background??)

DIRTY DANCING, one of the seminal dance / musical movies of the 1980s although they don't break out into song like in the old musicals. Patrick Swayze, an accomplished dancer was really hot.
THE TIME OF MY LIFE

as you can see for yourselves

Cynthia Rhodes, also an accomplished dancer who did Staying Alive with John Travolta.