Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling a lover "daddy"?
I'm not comfortable with it one bit. Calling my romantic partner daddy or being called daddy by my romantic partner.

If it floats your boat ok. But if my parter were to call me that, I'd ask them to stop. Just a bit creepy for me.

Mick

I guess it's a matter of preference,influenced by culture as well. I would forbid my partner calling me daddy or any sort of it,but referring me as the third person,that I'm okay with.

I think its fine, providing the daddy in question doesn't mind being called it. I dont think if it was used in a relationship it would make it "unequal" in anyway, unless that relationship is built on crap foundations and unequal to begin with. you can offer different things in a relationship and still have a mutual respect and love .

and like you said pix, most sex is in the mind and "daddy" has strong connitations. Just the word itself. Like sugar. Doesnt mean your thinking about, sugar. Just has a sound to it. You could just be saying it in the heat of the moment. But as you asked, i dont think just saying it has any symbolic meaning to father/child relationship, its just the dynamic of the similarities of sort of "your in charge, and i,ll do what im told" or "i,ll look after you and spoil you"or "im gonna sit on daddys lap"

Of course theres exceptions

Quote:Jungian psychology so early in the day! I have trouble wrapping my head around Maslow
For good read on the subject: Jung, Jungians and Homosexuality by Robert H Hopcke

I always found the custom of calling your sexual significant other: Daddy/Papi/ Big Daddy creepy.
Not that I judge those who do it.
It's just that the last person I want to think about while having sex is my father.

But I do agree that it does have Freudian/Jungian overtones.

Consenting adults can use whatever works for them.

I have a great relationship with my father, we're very close. He has been so supportive and loving, and I respect and love him. The use of "daddy" or "dad" is reserved for him as an honor.

Personally, I would be grossed out if a lover referred to me as daddy in a sexual context because it sounds incestuous to me. I would never use the term on a lover. I would break up with someone if they asked me to call them that or role play in that manner. I don't see myself as having anything but an egalitarian relationship with another man no matter the age difference between us.

I very much want to have at least one child in the future, and as Counselor said, I would expect my partner to use daddy/dad when we refer to each other to our child. My mom and dad do that and that's not weird.

I wouldnt even call my father daddy very creepy

There have been times in my life when I absolutely would refer to my lover as "Daddy", a time when I was more co-dependent, much younger, less experienced, and unsure of who I was. At that time, I tended to date men who were 10+ years older than me, and it felt appropriate - though it was never with any regularity as it creeped them out - and I understand why. At that time, they felt like my rock, and the only thing that kept me grounded, strong, steady, loving...which all can be tied back to a paternal type of relationship if you reach hard enough.

I've grown and changed quite a bit since then. Now, if I do it at all, I do it to gently rib whoever I'm seeing just to tease them. In the transitional period, I guess I realized there's a lot of power behind words, and calling someone "Daddy" sets the stage for an unequal relationship rather than a partnership - at least in my eyes.

That said, I also grew up around and dated many latin guys and found it pretty common for anyone to be given the name "Daddy" or "Mamas" as a term of endearment no matter the age, or even species (have watched friends and their families refer to 4 years olds as "Mamas" or their cats as "Daddy/Papi") and have seen it within many families in that culture...

So, I guess there's no one answer to rule them all.

This does bring up an interesting question I've been pondering for some time.

Who's your daddy? Flirty-wink-smiley