Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Calling all Brits!!! Need some enlightenment....
We had a civil war between the round heads and cavaliers, or monarchy and government. No were not that divided, except up north you get really nice gravy and chips! lol By the way Lee Mack is good doing comedy panel shows, when he's not acting, but there's not much difference, hes one of those people who play themselves, pretty much. Though im not big fan of any new sitcoms, that ones not so bad.

MisterTinkles Wrote:Very interesting.

Sort of like the divide we had here between the North and South way back when.
But ours ended up in a civil war....go figure.

the usa still has a north/south divide ...

megumidesu Wrote:the usa still has a north/south divide ...

Yep. As just an example, see some stickers:

http://www.rebelstore.com/bumperstickers.html

Though they distance themselves from the slavery issue, I do recall being schooled in East Texas...while slavery wasn't outright condoned, a history/social studies teacher did paint blacks as better off as slaves (including happier). At the time I was far more angry at Yankee carpetbaggers than slavery (and was later shocked reading the writings of Frederick Douglass, and also about how Sam Houston helped both natives from the government and slaves escape to freedom and condemning the Southern practice of slavery which got him attacked by vigilantes as a "traitor to Texas and the Confederacy," something that even Texas History forgot to mention in my schools).

On a pro-gay vid on YT some antigay bigot said about a month (or less) ago that he "hated Northerners" and someone asked what he meant and it was them Yankees who "give us this filth." Though that reminded me of a joke (not that I shared it with him) I heard growing up (mid-90s):

"Why did the North get the Yankees and California get the [gays]? California got to choose first."

All in all the North/South divide still exists. (Though interesting enough West Texas is much more aligned with the West while East Texas with the South, and it shows. Though where it gets really paradoxical to me is how Austin is one of the most liberal places in Texas while also the capital of one of the most conservative states, and when Texas got the required signatures for Washington DC to consider their demands to secede then Austin held a counter-petition.)