Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Came out to mom, non expected reaction
Yeah. At this point, all you can pretty much do is move on with your life and let her cope with it, how she can. I came out to my older sister about two or three years ago. She never really said anything after that or mentioned. Some people just happen to take information differently. The best you can do, you did already Smile Hope everything goes well.

My BF just cane out to his family...they all went batshit...his mom blames me, her comment was, How could you do this to my son? So...your situation could be worse...

It may not seem real to your mom until you start dating a guy...at this point, I think it's an abstraction to her and she may well be in "I'll think about that tomorrow" mode.

I don't think it's a good idea to keep bringing it up...let her live with it and get used to it for a while. And yeah, that's frustrating and leaves you feeling uncertain...but I don't think she's assimilated it yet. Give it time...

Pyromancer Wrote:My BF just cane out to his family...they all went batshit...his mom blames me, her comment was, How could you do this to my son? So...your situation could be worse...

It may not seem real to your mom until you start dating a guy...at this point, I think it's an abstraction to her and she may well be in "I'll think about that tomorrow" mode.

I don't think it's a good idea to keep bringing it up...let her live with it and get used to it for a while. And yeah, that's frustrating and leaves you feeling uncertain...but I don't think she's assimilated it yet. Give it time...

I had pretty negative reactions from my mom when I came out, WAY back when too... but she eventually came around, and is very friendly to my current BF. Give her time. She'll come around.

Alex98 Wrote:So i recently came out to my mother the other day because I kind of figured she had some sort of clue that I was gay however .....she actually had no idea and i told her for no reason. Sooooooo my mom didn't really say much. She didn't look happy or sad or really like anything? I thought maybe for a sec there was going to be some cliche moment where she would say "I love you no matter what" or "I wish you would have told me sooner!" but i could literally hear crickets in my living room and it was the most awkward moment of my life. I asked her if she was mad and she said "no, it isn't your fault" like is this implying she thinks its wrong however its not something i could have had control over? It's been 3 days and she hasn't said anything about it or asked questions. I think shes trying to ignore it to be honest. So should anything further be done do you think? Should i just worry about myself and keep living life or should i maybe try to talk to her more about it?Not really good at this kind of thing. Sad
When I came out to my parents I was 26, not 17, and still I wasn't strong enough to say it with my own voice, so I wrote a letter to them. My mom reacted the way I thought she would: crying because she thought I had kept it from her for too long. My dad reacted the way I though he would: he didn't say anything and still hasn't said anything since, which is the best thing, because it means nothing really changed for him.

Give your mom some time to adjust to this and you'll be getting along better than you used to!

Like everyone says, give her time and remember that you've had a lot of time to get used to the idea.
I was in my 30s when I came out to my parents.....my mum asked me if I was telling her because I had AIDS (nice!) and still doesn't really acknowledge my being gay. But I try to take my own advice and give her time to get used to the idea....

Well done for coming out though Smile

Be prepared for a stream of questioning if your situation gets to that point.

Congratulations it's a big step, mothers always know, think that if it was hard to came out to yourself don't expect for other to accept it straight away, as every body said just give her time and when she is ready she will comeback To you , just be you and keep going