Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Came out to my sister today
The other night, we were out, and she pegged me about my "girlfriend" that I had been neither denying nor confirming. I told her I'd tell her about it on Sunday (today).

So, we sat down at a café after going out to lunch w/ some other friends, and I just told her right when she asked me. Her immediate reaction was getting flushed, and her eyes got a little red. The first thing she said was.. "oh my god... thank you for telling me." The whole conversation went great! Smile

After that it all went as well as it could have gone. Especially considering we were in a public place!! She did go white for a second when I told her who my boyfriend was (because she had met him previously as a "friend" of mine). She is the first family member I have come out to. Other than that, i'm out to one of my friends, and his girlfriend.

She is probably the most conservative sibling I have (I'm the eldest of 5), but she was so open and accepting, and genuinely happy and relieved for me. We talked about how I'm known as a pretty private person in my family, in terms of relationships. I've never told my family about girlfriends (because there never WERE any!!) So for the past 10 years that i've been "dating," I've become known as a 'private person.' It was great to finally reveal to her that I am no more private than the next guy! I am dying to spill about lots of things. In this case, stuff about my BF (I'll leave that for the future though Tongue I don't want to bombard her.) It really sounded like she completely understands what I've gone through, and how normal it was to be perceived as a private, quiet person.

It was a great, great experience, and a VERY big step for me. i've been wanting to do this for almost a year now. I feel great about it... no regrets at all. She assured me that the rest of the family will take it just as well. We'll see! Before she left, she told me again how relieved she was. She said she was quite shocked at the beginning of the conversation. She was very surprised, and never really suspected it as a possible reality. She said she feels great now, and very happy for me. Smile

Awwwn that's sweet! =)

sounds great ...

Congratulations... one step more to be YOU :-)

awesome news Big Grin congratulations, glad it went so well for you!

Way to go! Congratulations!

Congrat! it was so sweet!! very inspiration, gives me more courage to come out to my very close cousin next summer Big Grin

good to hear news like this congrats

Fantastic news!
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Nice to hear a positive coming out, hope the rest of the family are OK with you.

sounds great!