Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Republicans Regain The Progressive Image They Once Had ?
I must have fallen through a wormhole into a parallel world. On my world, the Republicans have not been progressive since the time of Abraham Lincoln, and that was when they surpassed the Whig party as the 'new' conservative party.

First, before I get started I want to thank everyone who took a moment to reply to this post,
I found the replys to be interesting.Second, I agree that before we can be progressive again we need to stop having people like Rush Limbaugh represent us and we need kick out the christian right and we also need to stop looking out for corporate interests over the interests of the american people.But that will only happen if we as a party decide to do it, till then it will be impossible to be the progressive party again.

I thought you might like hearing of South Park Republicans. Confusedmile:

A lot of Republicans tend to get lost in this talk of conservatism. For many, conservatism can relate to tradition. Of course, America was founded on a compromise, so the word "conservative" doesn't really have the meaning most Republicans think it does. Although, I wouldn't mind trading a few of today's theocrats such as Gingrich, Romney, and Palin, for some deist elitists.

Tim18 Wrote:First, before I get started I want to thank everyone who took a moment to reply to this post,
I found the replys to be interesting.Second, I agree that before we can be progressive again we need to stop having people like Rush Limbaugh represent us and we need kick out the christian right and we also need to stop looking out for corporate interests over the interests of the american people.But that will only happen if we as a party decide to do it, till then it will be impossible to be the progressive party again.

Corporations and Evangelicals are essentially the only constituencies the Republican Party looks out for. If that is not your own agenda then why I must ask are you a Republican?

NO they can not

and why should we care.

there is another choice, the Democratic party. Its a 2 party system and we should not get hung up of one or the other but rather go with the party that is the strongest, best represents our personal views.

Brendan Wrote:Corporations and Evangelicals are essentially the only constituencies the Republican Party looks out for. If that is not your own agenda then why I must ask are you a Republican?

Well, to be honest the real reason I'm Republican is it is a matter of keeping with the family tradition for the most part.Even though most of my family hates me now I still feel like I should keep with this tradition.but there is a part of me that really does believe that the Republican party can do more then look out for the interests of Corporations and Evangelicals.

pellaz Wrote:NO they can not

and why should we care.

there is another choice, the Democratic party. Its a 2 party system and we should not get hung up of one or the other but rather go with the party that is the strongest, best represents our personal views.

Unfortunately, here in the US because the vast majority of the people who actually vote, which is less than 50% of the eligible population, vote based on false perceptions of who the candidates are. People vote based on party affiliation, not based on what candidates, think, or on their record. I for one espouse the philosophy of George Washington that politcal parties contribute to the corruption in the system and that we should stay away from them. I vote not based on party, but based on issues. I however, actually pay attention to politics and to candidate's records. The majority of Americans do not.

Richard

yes, if there willing and able to ditch the religious fanaticism, they actually have what i think is for the most part a pretty reasonable stance, but like i said they have to get rid of the religious nutjobs if they want to stay relevant