Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can Sciatica shift from left to right?
Several years ago I fell from a horse and landed on my hip.

As falls go, it wasn't a very serious one, I've had much worse, but I think the position I landed in caused my sciatic nerve to become trapped between two vertebrae. Ever since then I've had all the usual symptoms associated with sciatica.

My G.P. did a very quick and simple test, getting me to lie on the couch and see how far I could raise my right and then left leg.

The most annoying symptom I get is numbness on the outside and between the two last toes of my left foot.

Recently ago as three days ago, the numbness in my toes has shifted to also include the last three toes of my right foot and across the top of the same region where those toes connect to the foot.

It's quite odd and has never done this before.

Does anyone else have experience of sciatica who might be able to tell me if this is normal?

Hmm. I have ulnar nerve entrapment, and it has never switched to the other arm.

[Image: mcdc7_sciatica.jpg]

I know with the ulnar nerves they both travel up each arm and go into the side of the spine, thus if your disk is herniated to the left more than back or front, it can entrap the left ulnar nerve and the right remains unaffected.

Looking at this and other diagrames of the siatic nerve, I have to assume that a similar process would be at work, meaning that if you entrapped your nerve at the spine with a herniated disk is it feasible your herniated disk has either worsened, spreading out to entrap both sides, or has somehow shifted its 'blow out' from one side to the other - I don't know if this last is possible.

Doctors refuse to operate on my herniated disk, since it bulges outward - they seem to think the loss of the use of an arm is better than the risk of ending up being paralyzed from the neck down should a surgeon work on me with the shakes or something. However I was told to immediately return to doctor for revaluation if I get similar sensations doing down the right arm or affecting my right hand as this is a symptom of my condition getting worse.

Thus I would assume that these nerves are similar enough that you should seek a doctor to work with.

Most of what I said up there is pretty much extrapolation from what I know from my own problem. I am not a doctor, and don't have the medical training needed to diagnose.

Vigilias Wrote:Several years ago I fell from a horse and landed on my hip.

As falls go, it wasn't a very serious one, I've had much worse, but I think the position I landed in caused my sciatic nerve to become trapped between two vertebrae. Ever since then I've had all the usual symptoms associated with sciatica.

My G.P. did a very quick and simple test, getting me to lie on the couch and see how far I could raise my right and then left leg.

The most annoying symptom I get is numbness on the outside and between the two last toes of my left foot.

Recently ago as three days ago, the numbness in my toes has shifted to also include the last three toes of my right foot and across the top of the same region where those toes connect to the foot.

It's quite odd and has never done this before.

Does anyone else have experience of sciatica who might be able to tell me if this is normal?

Didn't have this happen to me, but did fall, got a herniated disc, and had pain going down my leg... so beginning stages of sciatica.

My only advice to you is to get to a orthopedist as soon as possible, and a neurologist. If you're feeling numbness, you're nerves are likely pinched, and therefore your nerves are slowly losing their effectiveness.. which is pretty much permanent. I saw two different orthopedic surgeons when I had it. One just did steroid injections with me to minimize pain. The other did a 20 minute non-invasive surgery which had me out of the hospital in 24 hours (only had to be there overnight because of an allergic reaction to pain meds). I was walking completely in 3 days. First two days I mostly laid around and got up to walk to strengthen it. I dunno how old you are, but the younger you are, the quicker you'll recover.

So, orthopedic doctor, then neurologist if necessary!

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Hmm. I have ulnar nerve entrapment, and it has never switched to the other arm.

[Image: mcdc7_sciatica.jpg]

I know with the ulnar nerves they both travel up each arm and go into the side of the spine, thus if your disk is herniated to the left more than back or front, it can entrap the left ulnar nerve and the right remains unaffected.

Looking at this and other diagrames of the siatic nerve, I have to assume that a similar process would be at work, meaning that if you entrapped your nerve at the spine with a herniated disk is it feasible your herniated disk has either worsened, spreading out to entrap both sides, or has somehow shifted its 'blow out' from one side to the other - I don't know if this last is possible.

Doctors refuse to operate on my herniated disk, since it bulges outward - they seem to think the loss of the use of an arm is better than the risk of ending up being paralyzed from the neck down should a surgeon work on me with the shakes or something. However I was told to immediately return to doctor for revaluation if I get similar sensations doing down the right arm or affecting my right hand as this is a symptom of my condition getting worse.

Thus I would assume that these nerves are similar enough that you should seek a doctor to work with.

Most of what I said up there is pretty much extrapolation from what I know from my own problem. I am not a doctor, and don't have the medical training needed to diagnose.

LOL it's a butt