Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can You Cook?
In the past few years, I have noticed that less and less people know how to actually cook. No, I am not talking about boiling water and dropping pasta in it, or heating something up in a microwave, I am talking about making something from nothing.

Some people can do very well, while others have no clue what a pan is used for.

For many years, my sister could not even boil water without burning it! Literally! I saw it with my own eyes!!! Yet, she makes some killer Banana Bread! Never could figure that one out.

So, can you cook? If so, what level of a cook are you at? What do you like to cook? Do your friends/family like what you cook? What are some of your best dishes you make?

[Image: Cooking+Cat.jpg][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0wIsQKYvhV4mH4COIzmO...z0I-jiU4Dw]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS8K-qE_EfrGdYJo_wqDIi...x-26BZ2iG0][Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGvgJQyCGtn1JRYcMib39...CU_R7Nl37B]

I live alone and I never bother to cook. Can't remember the last time I did it. I just take something from the fridge and eat it, or I will heat something in the microwave. Too lazy to stand in front of the stove for hours. And yes, since I never have to cook, I guess I cannot do it too.

I start out with seeds most years.... I garden and can/jar and cook...

I make hamburger helper - my process takes about an hour... apparently there are boxed equivalents that take about a quarter of the time to prepare. Rolleyes

When I live alone its a different story... I tend to rely on TV dinners or nothing.

Give me a can opener and I can cook anything!

No, I can't cook. But I have to or I'll starve to death. On most days it's just plain fried rice. Just throw stuff (anchovies, onions, garlic) into that mortar & pestle thingy, pound them to death (not sure about the correct verb, beat perhaps?). Throw the paste into a wok, add rice and egg, then tadaa.. done. Big Grin

If I'm not lazy and wanted something to munch, I could make a decent plate of onion fritters. Not sure if I got the name translated perfectly, it's more like anchovies-onions fritters. Hah!

I can cook a little.
But to be honest if the Microwave asked me to marry it i would straight away Smile

I used to always go exactly off recipes. But now I can do a lot of it by eye. Most people don't think I can cook but I'm pretty good at it.
But the things I can cook, others don't like sometimes...
For example, I can make a nice juicy steak. But some people don't like steak. So I just don't make it often.
But I'm still working on actually making things from scratch like a cake or banana bread. I love banana bread but I've never made it before...
Now I want to!
Curse you, empty wallet! CURSE YOU!

But yeah. I can cook. I might follow a recipe the first time I do something, but not always.

recluzeus Wrote:Just throw stuff (anchovies, onions, garlic) into that mortar & pestle thingy, pound them to death (not sure about the correct verb, beat perhaps?).

I think "GRIND" is the verb you're looking for.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

LONDONER Wrote:I think "GRIND" is the verb you're looking for.
Hmm.. I imagine grind refers to something like you do with a circular motion, while the fact is I'm beating the shit out of that stuff. But yeah. GRIND does sound better. Pound, beat.. LOL! It sounded like I was giving that thing a handjob! :eek:

Not much of a cook just because I do not really enjoy it. I have made a few nice meals in the past that others have enjoyed. I have also made more than a few that where not fit for the dog.

I'm in culinary school so it looks like I beat all of you hahahaha