Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can anyone help me with a recipe for rye bread?
While I was in London recedntly I boughtsome really delicious artesan rye bread full of different seeds. Now I'm home I want to try to make it but all the recipies that I find on the Internet have ingredients that I don't eat, i.e, sugar, mollases, milk, even carraway seeds etc.

I have made my first attempt mixing the rye flour with some spelt flour and while it is most certainly edible, it's very compact. While it was kneading in my bread machine the dough did look very dry so maybe I need to add morer water and maybe use more yeast. Whatever, if anyone has a tried and tested recipie to pass on, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
"You can be young without money but you can't be old without money"
Maggie the Cat from "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." by Tennessee Williams

I'd use Rye Whiskey instead of water... Gives it a delightful flavor and cures all kinds of maladies.

Just kidding..

I have no idea how to make a loaf of Rye Bread... I'm just here to spread some cheer..

Sin-cerely,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

Looks like I will have to continue experimenting. If I find a solution I'll post it here.

Look up some Swedish recipes. They are big on rye bread. Also worth googling for Jewish rye, which I love.

Any bread is problematic for a diabetic but you can still enjoy making it. The sugar, molasses, etc. are there to feed the yeast and probably not in large amounts.

Bread making is wonderful therapy to calm the mind. Have fun.
I bid NO Trump!

Since I posted my original request I have made two more attempts. The first attempt was a total disaster! It rose in the bread machine and then sunk and I mean sunk. What was left was edible I suppose but I have fed it to the birds.

The secod attempt was 500 grammes of rye flour, 200 grammes of spelt flour (it's very difficult to use just rye flour), a heaped teaspoon of yeast, my usual amount of sunflower, pumpkin and linen seeds and a really good slosh of extra virgin olive oil and 750 ml. of water.

It has still come out dense but I guess that that is the nature of the rye flour. The loaf that I had purchased in London was filled with seeds. I didn't try to emulate that because my seed store is a bit low at the moment but I will try maybe next time but it will make it an expensive loaf. The one in London cost £3.50/$5.20/4.75€.

The attached photo gives a little idea of my latest attempt. Maybe a bit more yeast will help to make it a little lighter next time although the loaf I purchased in London was also dense.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

doesn't look so bad. Have you tried making it manually? Maybe you would ahve more control over the rising that the machine allows.
I bid NO Trump!

LJay Wrote:doesn't look so bad. Have you tried making it manually? Maybe you would ahve more control over the rising that the machine allows.

I'm too lazy to do it manually. I take the two paddles out of the machine an hour before it is due to finish and that does affect the rising. I might try to take them our earlier next time.

The only other problem I have with the machine is that when the bake is complete I actually want to bake it for a half hour more. The only way I can do that is set it to Programme 12 and unfortunately the machine takes about an hour to "deprogramme" itself before I can set Programme 12.

My next attempt I will use more yeast and maybe less spelt flour. The loaf I bought in London was much darker.

People nowadays are averse to using gluten,,, but it may be exactly what you need to get the best results. Below is a link for using gluten:

http://www.thekitchn.com/vital-wheat-glu...s-it-84612

I used to use wheat gluten when making breads and it was great for getting a lighter textured bread.

Best wishes,
Jim
We Have Elvis !!

jimcrackcorn Wrote:People nowadays are averse to using gluten,,, but it may be exactly what you need to get the best results. Below is a link for using gluten:

http://www.thekitchn.com/vital-wheat-glu...s-it-84612

I used to use wheat gluten when making breads and it was great for getting a lighter textured bread.

Best wishes,
Jim

Thanks Jim. Interesting idea. I look to see if I can get it where I live.

If you ar using salt, cut it back a little. Salt inhibits yeast while sugars feed it.
I bid NO Trump!