Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can homosexuals really be reformed?
I recently finished having this conversation with my parents and stella, who's a family friend of ours.

Anyways, when my dad was talking about the story of how he and my mother met, how it all happened i should say, somewhere in the story there was a mention of homosexuality.
When my dad was married to my brothers actual mother, whose name i forget, he talked about her sister as well. Well it turns out that the man she married was a reformed gay man. Turns how it happened was Nancy, the woman the guy married, idk what his name is, was never brought up, asked the guy if he would like to go to church with her, and the way it goes, or how he said it, he was saved that day.

This happened like over 30 or so years ago, but when i heard this story for the first time today, it got me to thinking, if he was able to be saved, as others would call it, then what of others?

Honestly i would like to know your opinions on this. What do you make of it?

Studies show that conversion therapies don't work, people can change their claimed sexual orientation at the drop of a hat. There's nothing stopping gay people from marrying women and living emotionally unfulfilled lives.

No if your gay you are gay end of story all those so called gay healing centers is bombard the gay people there with guilt and shame making them represe who they really are which is very mentally damaging so if your gay be happy with yourself and anyone who disagrees can get over it Smile sorry for the rant lol

Symbolic interactionism, one of the three major sociological theories, holds that homosexuality, along with all other human sexual desire, is a socially constructed, learned desire. So, if a desire can be socially constructed and learned, it is, at least theoretically, possible to change a person's desire. However, the process to bring this about would incur tremendous psychological damage!!!

In my own opinion, and this is just my opinion, any process (whether it be aversion therapy, shock therapy, new-found religious enlightenment) which claims to cure, heal, or change homosexuals is either a) unethical, immoral, and probably illegal or b) a process for homosexuals to simply "go back into the closet."

by example ... ME reformed ... good luck ;-)

Why someone should reform gay people ... in the same thought : Why nobody reform straight people ? They have a really disgusting way of sex :biggrin:

If people... mostly christian people ... would do what their Religion or their "moral code" prescribes : Tolerance, Love, understanding, living with not against People... this question "How to reform"...would be very unnecessary

try this video, a talented young man talks about reforming homosexuality.. Wink

Gabbyboy Wrote:try this video, a talented young man talks about reforming homosexuality.. Wink

im a little confused on this vid ok im dumb too but idk:tongue:

If he 'reformed' then either he was really bisexual or he ended up repressing his true nature. If bisexual and he chose different, then it's not reforming - he just chose differently. If it's repressing, it's also not true reforming because it means putting on an act and having an inner torture for the rest of your life as you fight for true desires to pretend you desire something else more. So no, I don't think it's possible to be reformed, and I think it's very dangerous that there are those that claim it's possible. Just look at Michelle Bachmann's district.

Very interesting responses to this, i appreciate. I've just been a little curious, it completely confused me, i would understand more if they said he were to be bisexual, but the fact that he was gay, it kinda confused me.

Especially fenris, you make a really good point. The bible teaches tolerance, love, understanding, not to judge or live against people, and yet a fair share of Christians hate LGBT people.

In the end it's not the words of our enemies that we remember, but the silence of our friends - Martin Luther King Jr.

No you cannot 'reform' your sexuality...you cannot make a heterosexual gay or visa versa...however, if the desire is strong enough (For example...Internalised homophobia) I believe one can repress ones sexuality, but that would never lead to a rich and fulfilled life because I don't care what anyone says, desires are desires and natural desires will continue to niggle in the background.

And no, there is no cure...you can only cure a disease.