Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can i transfer a Californian Domestic partnership to the UK?
Hello,

My partner and i are looking to Marry in Lake Tahoe, we are both from the Uk and will be going to Tahoe for our wedding and then on to Hawaii for our Honeymoon.

I understand that we can not MARRY in California but i was wondering if a Domestic partnership performed in Tahoe will be legal when we get back home?

Can anyone help with this? Do we need to register for a license?

Thanks for reading Confusedmile:

Can anyone help with this....im confused.....:confused:

I would contact someone in charge of marriage licenses in the UK and ask. One possible solution for you is to have the civil partnership done quietly in the UK, and have a more ceremonial event held in Lake Tahoe.

Edit: Usually if the civil partnership is recognized in the home country, this case the UK, such a partnership would be legal in the UK. There might be some paperwork involved to get it legally recognized in the UK, and so it would amount to essentially the same amount of work as just having the civil partnership done on paper in the UK anyway.

Thanks for your reply........

We really dont want to have any kind of cereomy in the uk, so just want to try and find out where we stand...we were thinking of Lake Louise in Canada as we can be married there...but i wouldnt be able to handle the cold!! Confusedmile:........my other half wants snow...but we have settled with snow capped mountains and a temperature over zero!!

sprite1102 Wrote:Thanks for your reply........

We really dont want to have any kind of cereomy in the uk, so just want to try and find out where we stand...we were thinking of Lake Louise in Canada as we can be married there...but i wouldnt be able to handle the cold!! Confusedmile:........my other half wants snow...but we have settled with snow capped mountains and a temperature over zero!!

Ha, well there's always Vancouver, the Pacific currents keep it over 0 most of the year, then you can take a day trip to Whistler for skiing. (It rains a lot in Vancouver during the winter though)

Hi there,
I am not entirely sure on this matter but hjowever it turns out i hope you guys enjoy it i guess you could see this as a honeymoon and then the legal stuff back home ?

We really hope it is possible....we cant have family involved for many reasons ......so this is our way of getting away and doing the whole thing just for us!

Hi sprite1102,

I've found the Norfolk Registrars service very helpful and informative. I know Norwich is a world away from Lynn Wink , but it might pay you to have a word with someone at your local registry office.

I do know that if my partner and I get PACSed in his native France it will be counted as a civil partnership in the UK even though the rights and entitlements are quite different. Similarly, if we have a civil partnership in the UK it would only have the status of a PACS in France. I suspect the problem might be not so much the recognition in the UK of a Canadian wedding or Californian partnership, but the recognition elsewhere in the USA.

No doubt someone will have a better answer.

"If couples have entered into a civil partnership in a country other than the UK, the partnership may still be recognised within the UK, if the country in which you were registered followed the same general guidelines. It is important to seek counsel if you are in this situation, to make sure your civil partnership is recognised in the UK."

Civil Partnership guide for gay and lesbian couples in the UK - CivilPartnershipInfo.co.uk

"Schedule 20 recognises certain overseas unions as equivalent to civil partnerships under the laws of the United Kingdom. Same-sex couples who have entered into those unions are automatically recognised in the United Kingdom as civil partners. Relationships not specified in the schedule may also recognised as civil partnerships if they meet the conditions of Section 214 of the Act, therefore many of the unions listed below as not listed in Schedule 20 may none the less be recognised."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_partn...ationships

stu Wrote:"If couples have entered into a civil partnership in a country other than the UK, the partnership may still be recognised within the UK, if the country in which you were registered followed the same general guidelines. It is important to seek counsel if you are in this situation, to make sure your civil partnership is recognised in the UK."

Civil unions, domestic partnerships, and same-sex marriages are not recognized on a federal level in the United States, so he will still has to check with his local office.

It sounds like activist groups are starting to ratchet up the pressure on the ninth district court to resend their stay on same sex marriage in California. Sprite, you may be able to get married there soon anyway.

And, if you want snow capped mountains and a marriage, you could also go to the Berkshires. They are always lovely, not as majestic as the Sierra Nevada's, but they are certainly snowy mountains this time of year.