Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can someone explain Ju=On for me?
Silly question I know but I do not entirely understand how the Ju-On curse works in the Japanese horror films. I know Japanese horrors don't always make much sense anyway and aren't really meant to but still could someone explain its rules perhaps? How does the curse spread? Where did it really begin? Has it been there for decades, even centuries, or is it a 21st century phenomenon?

Can it be truly defeated? And finally...

Is it based on an actual urban legend or myth?

I would google it but it takes a long time to sift through the information and not to be awkward or anything but there is so much misleading information out there sometimes its easier just to gather everyone's opinion and make my own mind up.

Thanks!

I'm not sure but I know the curse is born in places where someone left a horrifyingly extreme grudge and it's possible for it to spread. In the original Japanese movies (saw them a long time ago so my memory is sort of blurry) the curse is spread/taken over by several people. I don't remember exactly HOW it spreads though... ahah. I'm not being very helpful. Anyways I think the American remake claimed the story has some form of cultural/mythical background but they could have been lying. A lot of distributors make that stuff up.

Ju-on literally means 'Curse' or 'Grudge' It is Chinese.

So I have no idea why the Japanese would use a Chinese word to explain a supposed Japanese happening...

In reality, its most likely a case of 'haunting' or what the western world would call a haunting. Sort of like the American Legend of Sleepy Hollow (The headless horseman) it is a story which has a long tradition, but is ultimately just a story. Granted the story is older than the American Tale, but like the American Tale a lot of old superstitions are brought into play from Japanese Traditions.

As for the movie franchise (there are several now) I believe there is a prequel which leaves the audience still scratching their head.

I think a lot is lost in the translation. There is the Japanese version then the Westernized Version (English) which is adapted and changes to meet the requirements of the Western Audience and plays on Western fears/traditions of horror story.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Ju-on literally means 'Curse' or 'Grudge' It is Chinese.

呪怨 (juon / juen) is japanese for curse / grudge . although it's not used much ...

Watch this, it'll explain everything Wink

But, in all seriousness have you watched the actual movies? I'm pretty sure at least some of those questioned would be answered if you gave them a thorough watch? And some of them, like where things truly began, just can't be answered with any certainty yet.

Personally, I think the curse has been made to seem quite unstoppable in the franchise - though possibly just to ensure an endless stream of media lol. Even in the video game - directed by the same man who did the films - the best outcome is merely the protagonist's survival. Defeating the Ju-on isn't even an option.

The Ju-On itself was just an invention, but I'm pretty sure it was based quite closely on a creature called the Onryo from Japanese mythology. The Onryo is basically like a ghost of revenge, and it's usually female - one who was powerless in life, but becomes strong in death.

Their domains tended to vary from simple one-person vengeance, to the causing of area-wide disasters like earthquakes and things, but they seem mostly the same concept.

Plus, they have the whole pale face and scraggy black hair-thing sown to a T Laugh

SolemnBoy Wrote:I'm not sure but I know the curse is born in places where someone left a horrifyingly extreme grudge and it's possible for it to spread. In the original Japanese movies (saw them a long time ago so my memory is sort of blurry) the curse is spread/taken over by several people. I don't remember exactly HOW it spreads though... ahah. I'm not being very helpful. Anyways I think the American remake claimed the story has some form of cultural/mythical background but they could have been lying. A lot of distributors make that stuff up.

[Image: Fatal_Frame_Coverart.png]

This game comes to mind. A story about a girl whose brother is kidnapped by an evil ghost lady who wants to unleash a load of dark evil-ness into the world, and marry her kidnap victim because he looks like a century old ex-bf or some crap. The sister defeats the ghost, alongside a mansion full of even more ghosties... with a magical ghost-kyptonite camera. Ironically, it's got the same J-Horror vibe that Ju-On had going...

Funnily enough, the Japanese release never mentioned a word about it being based on a true story.
Neither did the European release.
Just the American one Laugh