Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't find "normal" gay people?
I don't have anything against "flamers" etc. but when I started to come out a couple of years ago I tried meeting other gay people at my school's LGBT center and everybody there was either a crazy activist or had to have crazy pink hair and studs all over their bodies etc. There wasn't anybody who seemed to have any regular interests and who just happened to be gay too. Those people were really nice and everything and again I don't have a problem with them, but I just don't know how to relate to them and honestly I'm just looking for other gay people who like to hang out, have a beer, maybe watch a game or something or hang out etc. without having to act like we're in the middle of a gay pride parade all the time. I know that probably sounds really offensive to some people and I'm sorry because I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it's just that there are some things I can't really talk about with my straight friends and it would be nice to have some gay people I could relate to as friends. It gets really lonely.

Those people are out there....you just haven't met them yet. There are a lot of guys who feel the same way you do. I happen to love football...most people dont' know I am gay...but if I heard someone refer to me as "normal" versus other gay people it would turn me off. I actually have people think they are complimenting me when they comment on my "normality".

Like you...I am not trying to be offensive but maybe you should drop the word "normal" because it sounds like the language that discriminates against gay people.

Anonymous Wrote:I don't have anything against "flamers" etc. but when I started to come out a couple of years ago I tried meeting other gay people at my school's LGBT center and everybody there was either a crazy activist or had to have crazy pink hair and studs all over their bodies etc. There wasn't anybody who seemed to have any regular interests and who just happened to be gay too. Those people were really nice and everything and again I don't have a problem with them, but I just don't know how to relate to them and honestly I'm just looking for other gay people who like to hang out, have a beer, maybe watch a game or something or hang out etc. without having to act like we're in the middle of a gay pride parade all the time. I know that probably sounds really offensive to some people and I'm sorry because I'm not trying to offend anyone, but it's just that there are some things I can't really talk about with my straight friends and it would be nice to have some gay people I could relate to as friends. It gets really lonely.

BEER Big Grin was hasing beer last night. But sports espcially rugby. Oh god no. But I think I happen to be able to get on with a range of people. Excluding most homos I know I don't like much, not in my town. And espcially being gay it gets lonely. I think what you really need is a dyke. I have my dyke, the best person I could ever talk to and she gets it too cos she is also gay.

my question to you is what is normal?

I also know what you mean. I never really "came out", I just stopped hiding the fact that I was gay and started telling people whenever it came up, but it's hard to meet other gay people sometimes when you're not part of the "network". I went to a place called Pink Triangle a year or two ago because they advertised this social group for 18-25 yos that I thought I'd check out... long story short, one girl brought a blowup doll that she claimed to have found out on the street for some reason, and everybody else seemed a) to be wearing pride day costumes and b) obsessed with talking about nothing but gay/lesbian sex and transgender stuff. Like you, I don't have a problem with these people but I left after about 20 minutes because there was ZERO way for me to relate to any of these people... it's just not my scene I guess.

I'd really like to meet some gay friends who I can relate to and and just hang out with too... maybe some people to go to some of the gay nightlife places around here with.

Thanks for the replies ....dlboy53 all I mean is people who have other insterests other than just being gay activists. I don't care if people want to dress differently/creatively etc. but honeslty I don't really fit the gay stereotype and I don't have much in common with people who judge me for "acting straight"... I'm not "acting straight"... I'm acting like me and I want to meet other normal, genuine people who aren't always trying to make some kind of statement 24/7/365 and who demand every other gay person to do the same thing..

Also... I'm not transgender etc. and I don't think that being gay should automatically make me have to be lumped in to a huge "lgbttiqq2sa" category... that seems more like we're all being labelled into one huge sexual deviants category since the only thing we have in common is that the Republicans hate us for doing "weird" stuff in terms of sex or gender.

Try looking for a gay Republican group in your local area...there are a few of them now and they have alot of memebers...you will likely find alot of like minded people thereConfusedmile:

All I'm say is what is normal to you may not be normal to me may not be normal to someone else. So I guess what I'm saying is if everyone is normal to everyone else then this would be a boring place to live. That is why I asked the question what is normal? Is there really such a thing is normal. I respect the fact that you want to find other people with the same interest as you and that is great.

East Wrote:Try looking for a gay Republican group in your local area...there are a few of them now and they have alot of memebers...you will likely find alot of like minded people thereConfusedmile:

I don't think that kind of post is helpful East, but it does demonstrate exactly what he's talking about when he says he doesn't like being judged for "acting straight".

EricOntario Wrote:I don't think that kind of post is helpful East, but it does demonstrate exactly what he's talking about when he says he doesn't like being judged for "acting straight".

My suggestion had zero to do with "acting straight"....it had everything to do with people who define normal. He is asking for help finding other people who think like him...I gave him help. How is that not helpful?