Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can they even do this?
Hey! So I go it into some pretty annoying situation here and as you guys always seem to have such logical solutions I thought maybe you have some suggestions.
Right now I am in a hotel in Italy, I booked and paid for the room in advance. When I got here they gave me a room and everything was fine.
I'm leaving tomorrow, so I went to the reception today to pay some 'city tax' I knew I had to pay, but they suddenly tell me: the room we gave you was more expensive than the one you booked, so you need to pay 50 more euros.
Are they even able to do this? The guy that told me this just kept repeating this sentence because his English wasn't very good so I told him I want to speak to the manager who will be here tomorrow morning, but I don't want all this to get too much of a struggle as I do have a flight to catch tomorrow...
Any ideas?

Can they do it? I guess. But I'd keep insisting on speaking to the manager. If the room they gave you was more than the one you booked, they should've made that very clear when they gave you the key.

Lex

That's what I thought! They never said anything when they brought me to this room and I never asked for any upgrade or something either

Tell the concierge, "Non è il mio problema , signore."

The room was rented to you at that rate. You might check out what sort of protection for tourist consumers there are, too.

where in Italy are you? small hotel, a luxury hotel, what? yeah, expect poor English, Italians are not good at it.

it sounds like they gave you a wrong room. or otherwise they should've informed you if it was gonna be more expensive, and ask you if you'd be okay with that. either way, you shouldn't have to pay for that. but you're gonna have to stick with it that it was their mistake, and not give in and pay. although it could take a while, till you get to someone who has the authority to decide over this matter. it's about authority....lower employees can make mistakes, but they don't have the authority to correct them. they can't authorize you to pay less. so you gotta find someone who can. i hope you can sort it out with that manager, because otherwise they will charge you for it. red tape is insane in Italy.

good luck.

Yeah it was clear that the guy I spoke to couldn't do anything about it even if he wanted.
It's a quite small hotel in Venice. They had good reviews but I just read a negative one that was similar to this story and ended in the police having to come, thats not very reassuring...