Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian elections: Will anyone even notice?
With the frenzy of news covering the American elections this November, will anyone even notice that Canada may have elections in October...?

Let me explain, our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper has decided that the parliment cannot function properly with his minority government. Thus he has decided to go against his fixed election legislation (which means that the election should have happened Oct. 2009), and there will most likely be an election announced at the end of the week.

The bumbling opposition leader, Stephan Dion calls it a sham and that Harper is using this since he believes he can finally gain a majority Conservative government.

In addition, Canada's party system will be slightly altered now with the full inclusion of the new Green party, which just received its first seat in parliment thanks to a Liberal MP who crossed the floor.

Thus Canada will have the following parties to choose from:
Conservatives: Lead by Stephen Harper
Liberals: Lead by Stephan Dion
New Democratic Party: Lead by Jack Layton
Bloc Quebecois: Lead by Gilles Duceppe
Green Party: Lead by Elizabeth May

Phew... what will we do? :confused:

There is no lesser of evils... I'd almost prefer that Stephan Harper stay since I think Dion is an idiot. Anyway, thats the goings on in the Great White North.

Didnt know Canada might be having elections early. An orgasm of elections on the other side of the world.

It is either Harper or Dion... why dont anywhere people elect option 3 or for if they are good? We are so used of the evil we know and afraid of the better we are not sure of so the same people will be elected in every country in every elections . the Green Party i d support , if they are eco friendly love little doggies , squirels and the animal kingdom they should be less hypocrites shouldn't they?Rolleyes

PS. Will anyone notice? Depends Maybe after the USA election finish. The real Circus is in the US now , digging dirt of everyone they can since the campaigns started.

XRIMO Wrote:With the frenzy of news covering the American elections this November, will anyone even notice that Canada may have elections in October...?

Let me explain, our Prime Minister, Stephen Harper has decided that the parliment cannot function properly with his minority government. Thus he has decided to go against his fixed election legislation (which means that the election should have happened Oct. 2009), and there will most likely be an election announced at the end of the week.

The bumbling opposition leader, Stephan Dion calls it a sham and that Harper is using this since he believes he can finally gain a majority Conservative government.

In addition, Canada's party system will be slightly altered now with the full inclusion of the new Green party, which just received its first seat in parliment thanks to a Liberal MP who crossed the floor.

Thus Canada will have the following parties to choose from:
Conservatives: Lead by Stephen Harper
Liberals: Lead by Stephan Dion
New Democratic Party: Lead by Jack Layton
Bloc Quebecois: Lead by Gilles Duceppe
Green Party: Lead by Elizabeth May

Phew... what will we do? :confused:

There is no lesser of evils... I'd almost prefer that Stephan Harper stay since I think Dion is an idiot. Anyway, thats the goings on in the Great White North.

What's Elizabeth May like???

Yeah, I know the Liberals aren't going to be even close. Stephen Harper is a conservative so he is against things like abortion and gay marriage (though he can't really do anything to stop it now). However, Stephen Harper has improved the Canadian economy and has reduced taxes. The NDP just doesn't have support, and frankly I don't even know where they stand on issues. The Bloc Quebecois is almost purely French and only elected in Quebec. The Green party now has its foot in the door, but its way too soon for them to really do much.

Its a mess and there is all sorts of speculation as to why there is going to be an election... some think its Stephen Harper's way of getting a majority government. Some think its a ploy so that people are destracted by the American election. Others think Stephen Harper is right and parliment would be toppled when the House of Commons resumed.

Blah, Barack Obama, run for Prime Minister of Canada! We'll vote for you!

princealbertofb Wrote:What's Elizabeth May like???

I don't really know. She cut down a tree with Rick Mercer on his show once Laugh

The green party, as far as I know, has an environmental agenda.

Here's their website if you are interested: http://www.greenparty.ca/

XRIMO Wrote:I don't really know. She cut down a tree with Rick Mercer on his show once Laugh

The green party, as far as I know, has an environmental agenda.

Here's their website if you are interested: http://www.greenparty.ca/
Well I am but I think you should be interested.
Bruce Cockburn (If a tree fallsRainoteRainoteRainoteRainote)

I'm interested, but as much as the Green party seems good, I don't think they have what it takes to handle the government.

I do believe in the last election, I voted NDP because I didn't like Stephen Harper and Paul Martin screwed the Liberals.

I'm not fully into politics, but I understand enough to know who is going to screw me over if they get elected (though Stephen Harper surprised many people by cutting the GST tax).

Barack Obama is full of shit imho! But better than Hilary and the other guy i dont bother to remember his name , the one with the 7 houses....:tongue: Ron Paul on the other hand was a straight talking politician with clear ideas and definitely strong leadership skills and credibility. No wonder why he didnt got the coverage he deserved by the so controlled American main stream media. However he is No1 subscribed politician in youtube. Go figure.....

Anyway back to the Canadian elections . What you describe reminds a similar situation in the Greek parliament. I think Harper is being clever, it is most likely if he has to share his presidency with other MPs from other parties he would want to have elections. It is like firing someone. Clever yet predictable which in politics is not that but as personally i am more worried of the unpredictability than anything else.

Yeah, and this really popped up in the last couple weeks, I'm sure half of Canada doesn't even realize that an election is coming. It will be interesting...

Even though I am very dedicated to politics on the national level in USA I do wish that the spotlight would fall onto the Canadian elections - but aint gonna happen... or just like how the Prime Minister of Japan just stepped down the other day!!!

I also liked Ron Paul but he did have some things in his closet... and he is against a woman right of choice.

If I had it my way I would love to see Ralph Nader as president... He has run on the Green Parties ticket a number of times but the Gs dont have much power over here... cant even get onto the debates or ballots...

Doesnt really matter when you have machines that have secret code in tabulating votes...