Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Canadian equality or intrusion on free thought?
pellaz Wrote:no you got the terms reversedWink

Pellaz: "I hope affirmative action NEVER goes away because its job is not done."

No, I was just following your statement to its rational conclusion. If affirmative action has a job that can be done (as in completed), and you "hope affirmative action NEVER goes away", one must rationally conclude that you must also hope that that job is never completed. :eek: Wink :biggrin:

OrphanPip Wrote:No it is quite clear, the first part is a restatement of the multiculturalism act, which is reinforced in the charter, and the second part is merely stating that the curriculum must conform to the requirements of the Charter. Restrictions on curriculum to conform to anti-discrimination legislation have already been upheld by the Supreme Court.

There is no tradition of ringing out every little ambiguity of language found in the charter. The intention is already well established and elaborated on in the legal and political literature.

I beg to differ with you, Orphanpip. Without adequately defining certain terms, terms like discrimination and contempt. Posting a sign that states your opinions on why Gay Marriage should not be permitted could be construed as inciting discrimination, and thus be a criminal act. One could equally be breaking the law by making a flyer that states that all Christian precepts are irrational hogwash because it could be construed as inciting contempt.

I must say though, that there are equally vague statements in American laws.
That is why I wanted to know how these things have been interpreted.

One should never underestimate the tremendous responsibility nor the tremendous power placed with the judiciary.

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:The real problem here is that people are picking and choosing what parts of the bible they want to use as a weapon against others, instead of actually applying it fully and completely in their own life.

No, the problem is that some "Christians' think that everyone should live according to the rules they believe are important.

Frankly, it does not matter to me what parts of their scripture they chose to adhere to or not. What matters is if they try to force me to live by their rules.

Anyway, I have spent entirely TOO long on this today. It has been a good debate. Thanks guys, but now I NEED to get some work done or I'll be behind.

I really like the idea of this .
That being said , I fear this will just give the religious zealots more reasons to spread the hate at church , home meetings and street corners.

Another question arises , what about Islam?
They do not recognize state above religion .

Gosh thinking about it .neither do the Adventist , Brethren, JW, and the Mormons.