Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zander Murray is first current Scottish professional player to come out as gay
Zander Murray is first current Scottish professional player to come out as gay

Zander Murray has become the first current professional footballer in Scotland to come out as gay. The Gala Fairydean Rovers forward spoke about coming out in an interview published on the Lowland League club’s website on Friday.

The 30-year-old has said he “feels like the weight of the world is now off my shoulders” after coming out. Murray is the first openly gay footballer to play in the Scottish leagues since Justin Fashanu, who played for Hearts in the 1993-94 season.

“I want to help other players who are struggling with this as it isn’t easy for men, especially footballers, to deal with,” Murray said. “It can be difficult and you can feel very alone. I knew I was different for many years but with other people in the game coming out, it’s been amazing.”

“In recent years [the Blackpool forward] Jake Daniels has come out, and then Craig Napier and Lloyd Wilson, who are both referees, have done the same,” Murray added. “Before coming out you think people will turn against you and you think the worst. It’s been lovely how much support I have had.”
Murray also called for more support to help gay footballers in the men’s game, adding that he would decline being tagged in social media posts in an effort to hide his sexuality, because of his career as a professional footballer.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/202...-fairydean
[Image: 51806835273_f5b3daba19_t.jpg]  <<< It's mine!