Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catholic schools must allow gay alliance
East Wrote:Here in the US...the religious schools who are completely funded privately do not have the government interference....nor should they in my opinion...

40 States in the US have Constitutions that specifically prevent public funding of religious schools and another five make no mention of it which does not indicate that they do support public funding of private religious institutions.

I 100% support the separation of church and state which is why I would support the Catholic Church had they not been receiving public taxpayer funds.

It may be different in different countries though ...I am not familiar with the Canada system beyond what I read in the article. Does anyone know if any religious school receives taxpayer $$$$ in Canada?
Well i assume so.
They are, here in the UK and Ireland.
In fact, the Catholic Church has quite a debt owed to Ireland IIRC.

Canada most likely has the same kind of infrastructure considering their history.
But i'm not 100% sure.

If they are not reviving any taxpayer money, then i would side with you.

I had no idea about the US having laws against public funds going to religious schools.
A good thing to know. Thanks.Confusedmile:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

No, the Ontario Catholic School Boards are public school boards, they must conform with secular standards of education, but the Church is consulted on matters of religious education in the schools. The schools are not owned or administrated by the church.

Nor would the bill imply Catholics have to accept homosexuality, but that they must tolerate the free assembly of gay affirming groups within a public institution that serves communities which are not exclusively Catholic.

Edit: This isn't really new either though. When I was younger I went to a Catholic semi-private school which was partially funded by the government and we had a gay student association. The Church's policy in Canada already seems to be to tolerate these groups.

zeon Wrote:This is a step in the right direction about time for once with the catholics i mean every religion needs to understand that in life some people are just born gay and get over it!

100% agreement Aunty.

OrphanPip Wrote:...
Nor would the bill imply Catholics have to accept homosexuality, but that they must tolerate the free assembly of gay affirming groups within a public institution that serves communities which are not exclusively Catholic.
Let's hope those conservative news outlets remember to say that.
"Hope" being the key word.:redface:
Silly Sarcastic So-and-so

I didn't realize so many countries used public taxpayer money to fund religious schools.

I really need to move to Canada where equality is more intuitive!!! Grrr America!!!

The Catholic objectors are a bit wishy-washy with their objections anyway. They are saying they fully support measures to protect gay and lesbian students from bullying. However, they've hummed and hawed about too much attention being given to LGBT students. Anyway, the director of the Catholic school board and the Archbishop have both stated that they have no interest in challenging the act and they support the legislation.

East Wrote:I didn't realize so many countries used public taxpayer money to fund religious schools.

Churches and monasteries have been teaching kids to read and write for far longer than states have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

The separate school system was established as a compromise to the Catholic/Protestant problem in Canada. Which had the issue of certain provinces being majority Catholic (namely Quebec) and wishing for constitutional protections of Catholics in the rest of the country. Constitutionally, provinces were given the power to allow either a Protestant or Catholic separate school board, where a religious minority had a constitutional right to elect the school authorities for their community school from their faith.

So, these are not schools run by the Catholic church, they are public schools who have a board elected form a specific community in order to be able to better serve that community's education needs. However, this is obviously an increasingly archaic system as the mainstream school boards no longer teach the mainstream faith in school, but are largely secular. 7 out of 10 provinces have already eliminated the religious school boards (After looking it up BC, PEI, NB, and NS never had them, so only Quebec, Manitoba and Newfoundland have actually had to eliminate the schools).

The Church isn't receiving money to run schools in these boards. Although, some private Catholic schools might receive subsidies if they meet certain standards for affordability and non-discriminatory admission.

if they allow bullying or pedophiles in their schools this needs to be stopped from a civil or criminal point of view.