Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats among pigeons
I wrote that the other day and deleted it because I felt bad saying that the pope was a Nazi lol!

He was in the Hitler Youth BTW!!!

If it is true I will not hurt to tell.

To be fair being in the Hitler Youth as a young person in Nazi Germany was kinda essential to survival...

Not that i'm defending it, but, you know...

sox-and-the-city Wrote:To be fair being in the Hitler Youth as a young person in Nazi Germany was kinda essential to survival...

ummmm, I thought it was important to NOT be Jewish to survive...

fjp999 Wrote:ummmm, I thought it was important to NOT be Jewish to survive...

Ermmmm, everyone who didn't fit in faced the chop. Thats what the secret police was for. Rooting out dissidents. So taking part woulda kinda been necessary...

sox-and-the-city Wrote:To be fair being in the Hitler Youth as a young person in Nazi Germany was kinda essential to survival...

Not that i'm defending it, but, you know...

Thats not totally true sox as I've had friends who were alive in Germany around the same time and they where the same age or about the same as the Popes and they weren't in the Hitler Youth as a young kid as there parents were worker class and didn't have enough money to send them to the Hitler Youth. The Hitler Youth was HJ was compulsory for all young German men.

The Hitler Youth (German: [Image: 11px-Loudspeaker.svg.png] Hitler-Jugend (help·info) , abbreviated HJ) was a paramilitary organization of the Nazi Party. It existed from 1922 to 1945. The HJ was the second oldest paramilitary Nazi group, founded one year after its adult counterpart, the Sturmabteilung (the SA).

I remember reading about what happened to the Scouts in Germany and the country the Nazi's occupied.

The Nazi's classed the Scouting and Girl Guide movement as threat to national security because they thought they could organize resisten so they put all the leaders into prison, that included many young people.

Although the Scouts and Girl Guides movement was disbanded a lot of youth movements just went underground and in some cases the kids did fight the Nazis but most of the time they just did it for survival.

small bit about the Hitler Youth (HJ) for you all...

fjp999 Wrote:ummmm, I thought it was important to NOT be Jewish to survive...

They didn't like:

Homosexuals

Bisexual

Disabled people of all types

People who didn't fit into society

Artists

Poets

Teachers

Poiltaltions who were not part of the Nazi Party

None white people

Gypsies

Polish

Russians

and the list goes on and on and on!!

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Ermmmm, everyone who didn't fit in faced the chop. Thats what the secret police was for. Rooting out dissidents. So taking part woulda kinda been necessary...

[COLOR="Purple"]ok, hate to be picky but going from everyone (your average joe) to dissident seems to be a bit of a stretch...

now I aint no Nazi historian so did a little search and found this bit...[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]German children born in the 1920s and 30s became adults during the Cold War years. Since membership was compulsory after 1936, it was neither surprising nor uncommon that many senior leaders of both West and East Germany had been in the HJ. Little effort was made to blacklist political figures who had been youth members of the HJ, since many had had little choice in the matter.
Despite this, several notable figures have been "exposed" by the media as former HJ Youth members. These include Stuttgart mayor Manfred Rommel (son of the famous general Erwin Rommel); former foreign minister of Germany Hans-Dietrich Genscher; philosopher Jurgen Habermas; and the late Prince Consort of the Netherlands Claus von Amsberg.
In April 2005 the media reported that Pope Benedict XVI had, as 14-year old Joseph Ratzinger, been a HJ member. The German government's response was that compulsory membership of the HJ had little bearing on the pope's religious convictions or on his ability to lead the Roman Catholic Church.[citation needed]
Furthermore, membership in the organization did not mean support for Nazi ideologies was unanimous among the membership. For instance, Hans Scholl, the brother of Sophie Scholl and one of the leading figures of the anti-Nazi resistance movement White Rose (Weiße Rose), was also a member of the Hitler Youth. This fact is emphasised in the film The White Rose which speaks of how Scholl was able to resist Nazi Germany ideals while still serving in a Nazi organization. The Thomas Carter film Swing Kids also focuses on this topic.[/COLOR]
[COLOR="purple"]
sooooooo it seems we are all kinda wrong as the current pope was born into the HJ and there were dissidents within the HJ.

btw, I do think I was kinda correct as it was real important to NOT be Jewish to survive...
[/COLOR]

fjp999 Wrote:ok, hate to be picky but going from everyone (your average joe) to dissident seems to be a bit of a stretch...

now I aint no Nazi historian so did a little search and found this bit...

German children born in the 1920s and 30s became adults during the Cold War years. Since membership was compulsory after 1936, it was neither surprising nor uncommon that many senior leaders of both West and East Germany had been in the HJ. Little effort was made to blacklist political figures who had been youth members of the HJ, since many had had little choice in the matter.
Despite this, several notable figures have been "exposed" by the media as former HJ Youth members. These include Stuttgart mayor Manfred Rommel (son of the famous general Erwin Rommel); former foreign minister of Germany Hans-Dietrich Genscher; philosopher Jurgen Habermas; and the late Prince Consort of the Netherlands Claus von Amsberg.
In April 2005 the media reported that Pope Benedict XVI had, as 14-year old Joseph Ratzinger, been a HJ member. The German government's response was that compulsory membership of the HJ had little bearing on the pope's religious convictions or on his ability to lead the Roman Catholic Church.[citation needed]
Furthermore, membership in the organization did not mean support for Nazi ideologies was unanimous among the membership. For instance, Hans Scholl, the brother of Sophie Scholl and one of the leading figures of the anti-Nazi resistance movement White Rose (Weiße Rose), was also a member of the Hitler Youth. This fact is emphasised in the film The White Rose which speaks of how Scholl was able to resist Nazi Germany ideals while still serving in a Nazi organization. The Thomas Carter film Swing Kids also focuses on this topic.

sooooooo it seems we are all kinda wrong as the current pope was born into the HJ and there were dissidents within the HJ.

btw, I do think I was kinda correct as it was real important to NOT be Jewish to survive...

Dude I cant read the stuff under the blue Frank :confused:...

Sorry..:redface:

sweetlad86 Wrote:They didn't like:

Homosexuals

Bisexual

Disabled people of all types

People who didn't fit into society

Artists

Poets

Teachers

Poiltaltions who were not part of the Nazi Party

None white people

Gypsies

Polish

Russians

and the list goes on and on and on!!

[COLOR="Purple"]
Thank you sweets as we often do forget about some of the other unfortunates that were despised by the nazis.
[/COLOR]