Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Census question is about sexuality not sex
2011 is approaching and the government has published a draft census return form which they are calling a rehearsal questionnaire. Looking through this it seems there is no plan to include a question on sexuality this time although there are plenty relating to partnership status. This rehearsal will be run in three locations on 11 October 2009 - in Lancaster, the London Borough of Newham, and Ynys Môn – Isle of Anglesey in North Wales. This will give the Office for National Statistics time to iron out any difficulties.

However, there is a petition at the Downing Street petition website "calling for the government to challenge the Office of National Statistics (ONS) stance that a question on sexual orientation is unlikely to be included in the 2011 census, leaving us to wait at least another decade before the LGB community is fully recognised on the UK's most important population survey.

Organisations such as the Equality & Human Rights Commission and Stonewall disagree with the ONS position ..."

Whilst I can understand the point of view that Stonewall are presenting I think I probably still disagree with it for the reasons I have already stated. I shall not be signing the petition.

I wonder what the rest of you think?

Personally I think that the concept that a minority groups rights are only justified so long as there are not too small a minority to be a very misguided and dangerous notion.

If gay rights are not dependant on there being sufficient gay people in this country to justify it, then WTF does it have to do with the government who I sleep with (or even might want to)?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

Gay rights??

Bisexual rights??

Straight rights??

Equal rights isn't that what we should be talking about?

sweetlad86 Wrote:Gay rights??

Bisexual rights??

Straight rights??

I do think that is what we are talking about sweets... just some folk have more rights than others Remybussi

sweetlad86 Wrote:Gay rights??

Bisexual rights??

Straight rights??

Yes, but that is not the way the world works.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.