Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chas N Dave anyone?
Anyone for a cockney knees up? Haha had to make a thread to see if anyone knows them, listens to them and to discuss them! Seen them twice in the last 2 months in their final tour. If anyone is currently unaware here is one of their most famous songs.

Rabbit

how u into them at 19 m8 - i know this song and its ok ,, makes me smile anyway - how come its therefinal tour - hate it when a band u like stops - i just like to go on forever

did they do a snooker song too , sure they did it with jim davidson or his show at least

matty7 Wrote:how u into them at 19 m8 - i know this song and its ok ,, makes me smile anyway - how come its therefinal tour - hate it when a band u like stops - i just like to go on forever
Haha, im into lots of music people don't expect 19 year olds to listen to like jazz and stuff. Yeah they're stopping cause Dave's wife died recently and he doesn't want to continue any more. Chas will continue on his own as 'Chas and his band'

matty7 Wrote:did they do a snooker song too , sure they did it with jim davidson or his show at least
Yeah they did its called 'Snooker Loopy' - Epic song may I say :tongue:

They're such friendly guys, I luckily managed to get a picture with them after a gig.

(L) Chas & Dave ®
[Image: 33xvtat.jpg][Image: 2cjbpg.jpg]

Good times :biggrin:

[Image: 19588310150110456832891.jpg]

Hmm I like this song. Well the music and singing is pretty good, but the "rabbit" part kind of annoys me.These songs reminds me of Mama Chas,Bon Jovi and Divine Miss M. Ahh good ol' days. Kind of makes me think of the Goonies and all those great 80's movies and musics. Frank Sinatra is one of my favourites if it's old musicians. I especially loved Bon Jovi's "You give love a bad name,Ricky's solo was awesome in that one! If you are into jazz, have you listened to Bad Plus before? They are pretty good. I personally like blues and skas.

Having been born in London and having a Cockney mother I grew up with many of the songs Chas and Dave were later to record. My parents and grandparents were always singing around the house, while both my grandfathers were generally in demand to start the singing in the pub. Chas and Dave remind me of a record in my Mum and Dad's collection by The Two Bills From Bermondsey. It was released in 1954, a year before I was born and I played it over and over. One side was a medley of songs called "Cockney Capers" and the other side was "What a Mouth".

Now you done it ... I've started singing

Jimmy Bean was a funny lookin' fellah
If he had another mouth, he'd look much sweller
But the "race" queered him from winning a beauty show
It was like a steamboat funnel
Or a railway arch, or the Blackwall Tunnel
When you can't see Jim, when he opens his mouth you'll know

And as poor Jim goes walkin' about
You can hear the kids all 'ollerin' out

"What a mouth! What a mouth! What a North and South!
"Blimey, what a mouth he's got"!
Now when he was a baby, well, oh Gawd luv 'er!
His poor old muvver used to feed him with a shovel
What a gap! Poor chap! He's never been known to laugh (Oy!)
If he did, it's a penny to a quid
That his face would fall in half!

Mouth so large, oh Lord! oh Lumme!
He can whisper in his own ear, ain't it funny?
And to quench his thirst, now he's gotta take a drink o' mine
He got so drunk one foggy morn
He layed in the road and started to yawn
And a poor old man was delivering coals close by

And as he went to shoot the load
He saw Jim's mouth out in the road

What a mouth! What a mouth! What a North and South!
Blimey what a mouth he's got
Now the poor old man, bein' a short sighted fellah
When he saw Jim's mouth, he took it for the cellar
And he shot the lot, right into his mouth, no joke! (Oy!)
Jim, poor soul's got a tummy full of coal
And he corfs up lumps o' coke! (Oy!)

What a mouth! What a mouth! What a North and South!
Blimey what a mouth he's got
Now the poor old man, bein' a short sighted fellah
When he saw Jim's mouth, he took it for the cellar
And he shot the lot, right into his mouth, no joke! (Oy!)
Jim, poor soul's got a tummy full of coal
And he corfs up lumps of coke! OY!