Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheese comes from plants & fish fingers are made of chicken
Oh the ignorance! According to a recent survey, some British schoolkids believe that cheese is made from plants, fish fingers are made of chicken and tomatoes grow underground. What is the British education system doing?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...41771.html

In 9th grade there was a boy in my class who thought Abraham Lincoln founded Buddhism.

Im not going to read it, id like to keep my peace.

Only to say, theres no authority, its not the kids fault, its the last 50 years of relentless change of do-gooders, leftys, who dont realise that sometimes an extreme left punch can hurt as much as an extreme right. Its not going to get any better.

Someone asked a kid what happened during the holocaust. He awnsered " a few thousand jews were killed in the 60s" then he backtracked - "or was it the 6th century"

SolemnBoy Wrote:In 9th grade there was a boy in my class who thought Abraham Lincoln founded Buddhism.

Any idea how he managed to make that connection?

LONDONER Wrote:Any idea how he managed to make that connection?

None whatsoever. I spent 5 years battling severe feelings of guilt for the way I perceived some people around me as stupid. After that remark though...

SolemnBoy Wrote:... spent 5 years battling severe feelings of guilt for the way I perceived some people around me as stupid ...
know the feeling. The whole US went wacko after 911 and is slowly recovering. I really lowered my expectations for people.

It had to be done and not a bad thing being really really careful who you invite into your life and who you kick to the curb.

Fish fingers - who knows what those really come from anyway? Isn't factory pressed foods a great mystery to begin with?

Ignorance is not stupidity...

Bowyn Aerrow Wrote:Fish fingers - who knows what those really come from anyway? Isn't factory pressed foods a great mystery to begin with?

Ignorance is not stupidity...

Yes. That's why all the food I eat is prepared at home.

Perhaps this kind of information just isn't the kind of thing that people go out of their way to teach children?

Considering even the biggest number is just short of a third of primary school students, wouldn't it be safe to assume most of these kids are 4 to 8 years old? Most people are rather ignorant and have rather "interesting" ideas at that age about mundane things...