Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago may get 'gay-friendly' high school
Chicago may get 'gay-friendly' high school - CNN.com

I dont understand how you can have unfriendly gay schools .

I would of thought institutions of education would be neutral in focus.

fiona Wrote:I dont understand how you can have unfriendly gay schools .

I suppose that, morally and legally, they should be. However, reality is often different. There was a message on here recently from a young man who had to contend not just with homophobic comment by classmates, but also the RE teacher whose class he was in at the time. Outrageous, shocking, but more common than one might wish for.

At the risk of banging on an old drum, how do you reconcile the experiences of a pupil or student who knows they are gay or lesbian with the prejudices of a church school, particularly if that school is funded partially through the religious affiliation? Sadly the VA or VC status afforded some schools gives religious organisations influence way beyond those that might seem fair.

Of course educational institutions should be neutral and therefore havens of learning. However, for many minorities and lonely individuals they can be a total nightmare.

I'm all for schools for gay's. There should be one in every City. The things gay teen goes through in regular public schools is bad enough but the religious schools make their lives a living HELL or boot the out. " The Christian thing to do?"

I'm all against specific 'gay-friendly schools'. Because if you have proper 'gay-friendly schools' then all the other schools don't have to be gay friendly tackling homophobia doesn't have to be a priority. Gay kids then have to come out to a pretty homophobic environment and subject themselves to hostility and bullying in order to get themselves transferred to a 'gay-friendly school'. (Assuming that is a practical possibility given transport, geography, etc.) And finally when they leave school they have to join a society filled by people with all the prejudices to be expected if they grew up in an environment where the only gay people they ever knew were quickly moved elsewhere.
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fiona Wrote:I dont understand how you can have unfriendly gay schools .

No but you can get GAY-UNFRIENDLY schools : quite a different matter... Schools that are completely obnoxious about gays and the way they treat their gay population. Word order is IMPORTANT here...Wink

fredv3b Wrote:I'm all against specific 'gay-friendly schools'. Because if you have proper 'gay-friendly schools' then all the other schools don't have to be gay friendly tackling homophobia doesn't have to be a priority. Gay kids then have to come out to a pretty homophobic environment and subject themselves to hostility and bullying in order to get themselves transferred to a 'gay-friendly school'. (Assuming that is a practical possibility given transport, geography, etc.) And finally when they leave school they have to join a society filled by people with all the prejudices to be expected if they grew up in an environment where the only gay people they ever knew were quickly moved elsewhere.

I agree with you Fred in that it's just one more ghettoisation of the problem, but in some way it may be a safer environment for some who've been through far too much already... (Shades of Matthew Sheppard lurking in the background, would make you think)... I also agree that the problem would need to be addressed pedagogically much more drastically than it is, as should any kind of bullying. And you're totally right, Fred, about society having to change its outlook as a whole community. After all we are not out there to get their children and to proselytise... Damn it! :mad:

princealbertofb Wrote:I agree with you Fred in that it's just one more ghettoisation of the problem, but in some way it may be a safer environment for some who've been through far too much already... (Shades of Matthew Sheppard lurking in the background, would make you think)

I don't doubt that while those kids are actually at those 'gay-friendly schools' it is a wonderful and best place for them. My concern is what life is like before they get transferred there, after they leave and, most importantly, for those who never get transferred there.
Fred

fredv3b Wrote:I don't doubt that while those kids are actually at those 'gay-friendly schools' it is a wonderful and best place for them. My concern is what life is like before they get transferred there, after they leave and, most importantly, for those who never get transferred there.

In total agreement there.... It would be fair for all that gay bashing should stop. But that is still quite an enormous task... I'm just referring to the casual bantering of boys (and girls) calling each other 'gay' with no real gayness to go with it... It just needs to stop in their vocabulary... But if you ask Arthur you'll see that his young kids in school are getting all the wrong ideas of what it means to be gay from school. At a very young age. :eek:

princealbertofb Wrote:In total agreement there.... It would be fair for all that gay bashing should stop. But that is still quite an enormous task... I'm just referring to the casual bantering of boys (and girls) calling each other 'gay' with no real gayness to go with it... It just needs to stop in their vocabulary... But if you ask Arthur you'll see that his young kids in school are getting all the wrong ideas of what it means to be gay from school. At a very young age. :eek:

This use of the word gay to mean lame has really got to stop. Its getting far too pervasive. I've even caught me saying it twice!
Fred