Rate Thread
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chicago may get 'gay-friendly' high school
Isn't the reality that most glbt pupils and students will find some way of coping with life and manage to survive regular schools, even though (sadly) their results may be compromised? There aren't enough "gay schools" to educate the whole gay population and I get the impression that the institutions that do exist (and I'm not aware of any in the UK) are primarily targeted at getting the most damaged young members of our community back on their feet.

You could say the same about special schools creating "disability ghettoes". The vast majority of pupils having special educational needs actually attend regular schools.

marshlander Wrote:Isn't the reality that most glbt pupils and students will find some way of coping with life and manage to survive regular schools, even though (sadly) their results may be compromised?

Being a very closeted teenager in a moderately homophobic school environment really made me work hard to get out of there and off to university somewhere more enlightened. My results (I reckon) were improved. Is that just me being perverse (as per usual) or has anyone else had a similar experience?
Fred

Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans.

fredv3b Wrote:Being a very closeted teenager in a moderately homophobic school environment really made me work hard to get out of there and off to university somewhere more enlightened. My results (I reckon) were improved. Is that just me being perverse (as per usual) or has anyone else had a similar experience?
Well done, Fred. I was blithely ignorant of most things and wasted my opportunities all on my own.

Hah, i was the 'main gay one' in my high school. Not something i'm proud of. Actually, that's a TOTAL lie, i'm holla proud of it. I campaigned for (and won) the right for guys to wear a skirt to school, just because i felt i might want to at somepoint, and ergo should have the right to. I never did wear one, sadly...

High school should really not be 'pro' anything except learning. Everything else is surely arbitrary. And that's taking it as a given that equal treatment is just a necessity.

I think advertising something as 'gay-friendly' or 'pro-gay' or 'pro-anything' is horribly counterproductive, when we should be institutionalising the menjtailtiy that we're all the same. If people spent more time doing that, how much pain and conflict could be avoided!!

ANyways, back to my time in high-school, which was what i was MEANING to contribute here. Sure i got bullied something awful. I got outed by the one person i trusted aged 14 and had to start over again socially. But it's made me holla stronger and more confident for it. Also a lot more jaded and cynical, it's where my acid tongue and bitchy asdies come from (or it exacerbated them at teh very least).

In school i got away with all kindsa stuff i shouldn't, like when i broke a keyboard in music class, or when i accidentally melted a stack of seives in HE, the list goes on. That was mostly because i was a straight A student and they cared so much about what i could do for them when it came to the leauge tables...

Further enforcing my point. Schools should be about education. I was lucky enough to be in that situation, and wish everyone could have it that way.

sox-and-the-city Wrote:Hah, i was the 'main gay one' in my high school. Not something i'm proud of. Actually, that's a TOTAL lie, i'm holla proud of it. I campaigned for (and won) the right for guys to wear a skirt to school, just because i felt i might want to at somepoint, and ergo should have the right to. I never did wear one, sadly...

[COLOR="Purple"]
Clap FANTASTIC AND CONGRATS Luxhello

*hopefully you have since worn that skirt with pride... I have a couple Jean Paul Gaultier skirts (one a womans and one a mens) and it is so much fun Lol2 [/COLOR]

lol i had a coupla mishaps with skirts that've put me off for the time being. Gonna maybe start a similar campaign in work once i've tested the waters... Wanna get put up before i start kicking up shit lol

The womans skirt I had was very tight, low rising and very revealing. I was constantly pulling that thing down... hehehe

*do you have a dress code at work???

Lol yeah.

It's basically black trousers (or skirt for WOMEN ONLY), white shirt, black shoes, tie (men ONLY). Jumper/cardigan (black) optional...

See the bits i've bracketed are the bits i intend to challenge. From the digging i did in the summer i know that if i were a transvestite, as opposed to someone with good legs for one, a skirt would be allowed. But technically it'd only be acceptable if i came in as a woman every day.

I KNOW there's wiggle room, but i'd be challenging an ENTIRE company policy, so it could go WAY over my head if i play it wrongly...

[COLOR="Purple"]But worth the challenge, NO? Remybussi

Oh, I forgot about the two mens skirts I had... One was a beautiful black pinstripe (as in a mens fine suit). It was a LONG wrap around with simple buttons. A very fine piece.

The second was in a cowboy motif. Also very long in a light brown canvas material with leather trim. We could never figure out exactly how it was worn... lots of buttons and ropings... A beautiful piece made for a museum but ???[/COLOR]

Oh definitely, try i might well do Biggthumpup

Sound like a two fabulous pieces to me. Do you have pictures?? I really wanna get my hands on a manskirt. Maybe that'll be the way for me to wrangle it...

xxx